Do i need a foundation ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a small wall (less than 1m in height by approx 6m in length) where a small bank was was cut back from the side of my house. The wall would be stopping mud and rubble from the bank from contacting the side of my house in line with my building inspectors instruction, i therefore have laid paving slabs along the side of the house and will put in drainage shortly and i need the wall to stop the bank from crumbling away on to the path and blocking the drainage. Would the wall be classed as a retaining wall although the bank is quite small? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Any wall which you are building will require a foundation, if it is going to act as a retaining wall then it should be a solid double skin type.

I would put the effort in to pour a minimum 300mm concrete foundation, stopping 150mm below ground level and then build up off that.
However, foundations are always taken to good ground and are not based on depth alone --- your D/S (building control officer) should be able to give you advice based on his local knowledge, his job after all is not only to inspect but also advise wherever possible.

Hope this helps.

Sqidd1g

Yes you need a footing.. in theory you should be putting in a proper retaining wall if your protecting your property.. i would recommend something in the order of a 600mm wide x 300mm deep concrete footing as the above poster says 150mm below ground level and build up the wall in engineering bricks and ensure the wall is 215mm wide.. Anything less and you risk remedial works in the next 25yrs or so..

This would then comply with building regs and good building guide guidelines.. course your local BCO may well have a different opinion and you could reduce this spec.. talk with him..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back