Do i need a macerator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As part of a project ive been asked to put in downstairs loo ,

The problem is due to the ground levels outside if i come straight through the wall with soil pipe its going to be virtutally level all way to soil stack along wall round a corner approx 6 metres away

Cant go under the floor no room, so my last option is for a macerator i have not had any dealing with these for over 15 years would this be a good option there is only a couple people in the house and wont be getting lot of usage i dont think

Would this be a good option ?

Sponsored Links
They're never a good option when approached by anything solid.

If the customer has a grasp of the implications and how it should be used and agrees and there really is no other option, then fire away. If it's your recommendation then I'd think again.

Could you connect to the soil stack below ground level and thus achieve the necessary fall along the run ?

Low cost "behind the pan" macerators should be avoided at all costs. They chop up waste and will jam on anything that does not chop. A macerator that grinds the waste is far less likely to jam on items that cannot be chopped, it leaves them in the buffer tank. They are also much easier to clean / unjam in the event they do need to be serviced.

You'll have to price out for both underground connection to inspection pit and fitting a sh!tmuncher and let the customer decide (with warnings about latter obviously) :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Could you connect to the soil stack below ground level and thus achieve the necessary fall along the run ?

Low cost "behind the pan" macerators should be avoided at all costs. They chop up waste and will jam on anything that does not chop. A macerator that grinds the waste is far less likely to jam on items that cannot be chopped, it leaves them in the buffer tank. They are also much easier to clean / unjam in the event they do need to be serviced.

Could you name any that grind, are less likely to block and with a buffer tank please.

Last edited:
are less likely to block

Mono Pumps Mutrator 8 ( probably no longer available )

Mono Pumps Grifter

http://mono-pumps.com/grifter_pump_system

Both suck the waste up from a chamber and then through a grinder by a positive displacement pump. Particles to large and hard to go through the grinder will fall back into the chamber when the pump stops.

The only time I had to strip and clean the grinder was when string was flushed down a toilet.

Last edited:
are less likely to block

Mono Pumps Mutrator 8 ( probably no longer available )

Mono Pumps Grifter

Both suck the waste up from a chamber and then through a grinder by a positive displacement pump. Particles to large and hard to go through the grinder will fall back into the chamber when the pump stops.

The only time I had to strip and clean the grinder was when string was flushed down a toilet.

Mono pumps are/were good units, haven`t seen one for +25yrs myself. More suited to industrial sites with 415v than a downstairs loo in a house though and if your going down the chamber route then I prefer Jung compli 125/2 me which is 240v.

We had a mutrator 8 for whole house and it never gave any trouble until the day the stream flooded the site. It was submerged and had to be replaced due to both motors ( each 1kW 230 volt ) being damaged beyond economical repair.

The replacement was a Grifter with only one motor ( 1 kW 230 volt ) and was mounted high enough to be above the flood line

Thanks for that, wasn`t familiar with that range, still think a Mono to be excessive for 1 loo though. ;)

If connection can be made to a sewer, then there is no need to think about any other option. Once the initial installation upheaval is completed, then it is a fit and forget option. No power supply needed, unlikely to block if installed correctly, and the WC will take more or less anything that is put down it within reason. Macerators are really a last resort where a gravity sewer connection is just not possible.

Depending on the distance and depth to get to the sewer, it may not prove much more expensive to lay a drain for the new WC, than to buy and install a macerator. Secondly, as I said, a drain is fit and forget. Macerator, say no more..... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back