do i need a new pump - still absolutely freezing- help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
how do you bleed a pump
i can see a large round disc about the size of a 5p coin, but not sure if it is this that i need to turn, it would be hard to get to it if it is!!

how long do pumps last, mine has got 1989 written on it! are they costly to replace - bit near xmas!!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Dunno the history of your problems, but considering you say "still freezing" this must be ongoing.

The 5p size thing is what you should undo, it's never made a pump work though. You can always try turning the now exposed impellor to see if you can get it to turn, however, in a fully pumped system the pump would operate on HW and CH. So, what do you have?

Pumps cost about 40 quid plus fitting. If the pump valves wont close then the system must be at least partially drained and this will cost more.

Either way, it's an easy job for someone to do. Bank on £100 - £150 all in.

thanks a lot for your reply

the pump is working but downstairs rads luke warm, i can hear water going through the pump and can turn the flow up and down so working but i dont know how well
pipes in the way of the disc i need to turn!

I suspect the pump as heating has been on and off for a couple of weeks but not getting hot since friday

hot water fine though

any suggestions greatly appreciated
thanks

You really need to mention a bit more about your system.

The things that are important are whether you have a gravity HW system and pumped heating. You can readily tell this by identifying a motorised 3-port valve somewhere near the pump, or alternatively two 2-port valves, but both must be connected somehow to the pump.

If you can't do this, then maybe it is best to get someone in. Especially considering how close it is to christmas now.

Sponsored Links
If you can manage over Christmas then fine. Otherwise you should be getting it fixed asap, availability and prices vary at holiday times.

If rads work upstairs and not much downstairs it usually sludge if its got steadily worse.

You may have a blocked feed pipe. The only useful think you can do yourself is to check that the feed and expansion tank is full with about 100 mm of water.

If you are anywhere near Hinkley then my friend Dave would be the obvious choice if you want the job done properly.

Tony

thanks for your help
it is a gravity system
just going to try and bleed the pump
any more suggestions please
last time i had someone in it was £375 for an hours work!!

Agile said:
my friend Dave would be the obvious choice if you want the job done properly.

That was the obvious choice that sprung to mind for me as well. Dave the plumber - of course!

ruth0007 said:
thanks for your help
it is a gravity system
just going to try and bleed the pump
any more suggestions please
last time i had someone in it was £375 for an hours work!!
That`s what we get for 2 days here in Sussex :eek: Take Agile`s advice he`s a respected poster on this forum.you can e mail him from his profile :idea:

last time i had someone in it was £375 for an hours work!![/quote]

i`m intrigued to know what you had done that cost 375 pounds for an hours work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back