Do I need a Power Flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have just come to the end of of our two year house warranty and for peace of mind have applied to sign up to a maintenance contract for our central heating and boiler etc.

A gas fitter called to carry out the initial system inspection and has recommended that further investigation is required because of radiator cool spots. He has said that there could be a possibility that sludge or debris has settled in the bottom of the radiators and may need a power flush.

I have just gone round all the radiators now that they have been on for a couple of hours and measured the temp difference between top and bottom. All are hotter at the top. The radiator in the hall without a TRV is showing a difference of approx 1-2 deg C, and the others vary. Some are approx 5 deg C and quite a few are 12 deg C hotter at the top. One is 15 deg C hotter at the top.

Are these temp differences indicating a problem or they to be expected in a fully serviceable system. Any advice would be much appreciated because I would hate to pay for an unnecessary Power Flush.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could well be getting sludged up. Are you on a combi system or an open system?
Either way if you are experiencing cold spots at the bottom of the rads to the extent you say then yes a flush could be a good idea.

Dave

Hi Dave,
the system is a pressurised one heated with a condensing boiler.

I also noticed that where the pressure relief outlet pipe discharges outside the house ( it has only operated when tested) there is and accumulation of blue coloured particles. Does this sound normal?

Stu.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Kev,

Do you have any ideas about the blue flaky particles which were discharged when the pressure relief valve was tested?

Stu.

Sounds like a typical crap new build install I'm afraid :mad:

If a new system needs flushing after 2 years then it says it all really.

Complain to the builders and demand they flush it for free ;)

Thanks for all your replies

I'll get the developer to pay for it. Just going to get my pig sized net from the garage.

By the way, you should see the state of the Kingspan in the roof which looks like going to Resolution, but thats another story.

Cheers all
Stu.

If the developer won't pay, you don't actually need a powerflush.

Put some Fernox Central Heating Cleaner in your system, leave it a week, then drain it all off fully and add some Fernox Central Heating Inhibitor.

:cool: ;)

Thanks for all your replies

I'll get the developer to pay for it. Just going to get my pig sized net from the garage.

Cheers all
Stu.

I heard today that the escaped pig in the Archers has just been found again!

I dont remember ever seeing blue particles in a heating system!

Tony

Tony

The blue particles are very similar to the ones we used to get from the taps when we first moved in. I think the developer said that they were just bits of debris from the new pipework and would soon be completely flushed out with use (which they did). There are still some left in the bottom of the toilet cisterns. Could it be be possible for the radiators to be full of these particles if they filled the system when the mains water system was still contaminated with build debris and didn't carry out and system flushes prior to commissioning?

Stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back