Do I need a wall agreement of some kind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've recently extended by property (single storey) and continued the line of the building (my property) on the boundary. My neighbour was happy for me to do this as I said I was willing to allow him to use this wall when he came to do his extension, which is now complete.

He has used the whole length of this wall as his external and built an inner wall to take the weight of his roof. So in effect we have 3 skins of wall, with the middle wall (my orignal external wall) taking the weight of my roof.

For rain water coming off the roofs he has had a GRP valley put in, this is basically sitting above his inner skin wall which my roof runs the water into.

Do we need some form of agreement to specify who is responsible for the valley and other aspects of the newly shared wall etc?

BTW - We're not in any dispute, all happy with the situation :D but would like to ensure we are both covered if either of us should sell.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would check with council planning first to see if they can help. Then with a solicitor who may see it necessary to attach what I think is called a 'lien' to the deeds to avoid future conflict if one party or the other moves out and neighbours from hell move in.
My personal thoughts on the matter as it stands are that as your building pre-existed his and the valley is on his side then it would be his responsibilty if anything went wrong.
I am interested in the outcome of this so please post back when you find out for sure

Slugbabydotcom said:
My personal thoughts on the matter as it stands are that as your building pre-existed his and the valley is on his side then it would be his responsibilty if anything went wrong.
It doesn't matter who is responsible as long you both agreed and as slugbabydotcom says update the deed or land certificate quoting this. I have done similar by buying a small plot of land from my neighbour at the back of the garden and they kindly told me to go ahead but I still wanted everything in order by having a Deed of Transfer by the solicitor to stop any dispute in the future, I now have new neighbour and they can't say anything but we get on fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back