Do I Need an Architect for a Single Storey Extension?

Unless in London, £1k for a standard single storey extension is a lot.

If it included structural beam design, or any sort of non-standard designing of the actual extension, then it may be OK as that will take extra time. But if its just a box on the back of the house and a knock through, then £400-£500 would be about right .... it seems that he's not even going for planning permission, just b/regs

If its a standard semi, the guy has probably done loads of these and will just have to change the address and print out the plans :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Why go for a LDC when it is PD?

Has the OP been given some crap advice by the Architect?

If its PD then its PD, and the whole idea of the PD regime is that you don't have to bother with getting any sort of permission - that is why it was devised in the first place. The Architect should be able to advise what is PD

Alternatively, if he is going through the rigmarole of a LDC application, then he may as well alter the size and do a full plans application and not be contained to the 3m of PD

LDC's have their place and are appropriate in some situations.

Alternatively, if he is going through the rigmarole of a LDC application, then he may as well alter the size and do a full plans application and not be contained to the 3m of PD
This statement is bonkers. An LDC is guaranteed as long as it complies a FPA is not.

Sponsored Links
This statement is bonkers. An LDC is guaranteed as long as it complies a FPA is not.

That statement is bonkers. Of course a LDC is guaranteed if its PD :rolleyes: Also a full planning application is guaranteed if it complies with the local plan

The point is, why be constrained by PD, and then apply to have someone tell you that your lawful permitted development is err lawful, when you may as well not apply for a LDC, or if you are hell-bent on applying for something then apply for something without the constraints via a full planning application

Hi

The fee quoted includes structural calculations for two steels. Other than that I don't know what we are getting for our money apart from a 'full set' of drawings.

I have spoken to several friends in the last couple of days having learned that they had extensions done, and only where structural changes were required (i.e. steelwork) was a structural engineer employed, to produce drawings for £200-300, presumably for the local authority planning department to approve and also for the builder to work from.

Do you need a full set of drawings when you are building within the confines of PD? Or do you just pay your fee for the Building Notice, show em that we've had the structural aspect analysed and drawn up and then get on with it?

Also, PD dictates the 3m limit but why can't you build to say 4m and pay for a planning application to get that through? Or would the LA just say thanks for your 300 odd quid planning application fee but sorry no you can't build 4m as it's not a detached house?

More questions to follow I'm sure...

The Planning guildlines in my liocality stipulate a mamimum 3m for a rear extension to a semi, but speak to your obviously highly competant architect (as I've been told I need to up my game ;) ) and get his opinion.

Yes I would get a full set of drawings done for PD, you can then get the Cert. of Lawfulness. I would also get drawings done for a Building Regs application. The Building Regs application is where you will submit the engineers details. All that information will provide a black + white agreement / specification for you and the builder.......leaves very little in doubt.

Going down the Building Notice route is a risk if your not familiar with the process, the builder may cut corners + leave you with problems.

For any house extension the designer should be RIBA (Royal Institute of british architects) or MCIAT a chartered architectural technologist who is also qualified to provide design services for your building design. Both will carry PI.

For any house extension the designer should be RIBA (Royal Institute of british architects) or MCIAT a chartered architectural technologist who is also qualified to provide design services for your building design. Both will carry PI.

Are you saying non-chartered teccies don't have liability insurance?

Are you saying that non-RIBA teccies are not capable of designing a domestic extension?

Are you saying that a once chartered-RIBA-MCIAT or similar teccie decides to rescind or retire from aforementioned institutions that their powers of design thought, suddenly dissolve with their charter or RIBA membership?

For any house extension the designer should be RIBA (Royal Institute of british architects) or MCIAT a chartered architectural technologist who is also qualified to provide design services for your building design.

Utter rubbish.

(Old post, by the way).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back