Do i need an "FSU"

You do.

BTW try to get a multimeter which makes a noise when you test a short circut. It's a lot more useful. Hopefully the seller will advise. Maplin or DIY sheds should have something.

Sponsored Links
I think you have said that the circuit is connected from a 32A MCB, so you either have a socket on a ring, which you are allowed to spur off with a single cable, or you have a spur off a ring with already has a spur off it which shouldn't be there. So find out and come back with the result.

You have one ring circuit. You don't have any other circuits you could successfully spur off.

See what you have at that socket. If it's not a ring you may still be able to fit a fused connection unit to serve both spurs.

You need to check if a ring or not first though.

I have had a look around the single socket and kind of looks like 1 big mess now, lol although only cosmetic

At some point this part of the wall under the single socket was taken off because the plaster job to cover it again was a joke, so I don't mind that this has now all come away, at a guess I would say this is the first socket in the ring and the red/black wire comes from the CU

You can see the wires entering the room, this is immediately above my CU that is in my hall as this bedroom is above my front door

also....I spoke to a relative to try and borrow a test meter cos he is a spark, he told me that seeing as I have a 32 fuse I will never go above 20-25 so adding this double socket with a "take off" from the single will be fine, as long as I don't do it in every room he added

Exactly, world class DIY from the one and only Liverpool Council, stunning!!!!

This is where the feed comes into the room from the CU

Sponsored Links
'Taking' a cable off a ring can only be done under certain conditions though, so testing the circuit will confirm which option you should take.

As you have gathered now, a visual look will not always confirm what you need to know, as well as causing a load of mess.

Removing that plaster has shown that the old cables are not in a safe zone, they are not directly in line with the socket. So you should take the opportunity to get them in line.

It may make sense to make the old socket a double, but until you can confirm if a ring or not we cannot really advise if you need to fit a FCU, or even get a feed from somewhere else.

I think the feed from the CU was changed hence black/red going to 1st socket in the ring, do you understand what my relative was saying regarding max usage being 20-25 so this extra double socket will not make any difference?

Am not surprised the council would put wires outside of safezones, more work for me I guess!

Would be a great idea to make it a double, took me ages doing the other one, grr

What your relative said has no bearing on what has been said above. You need to prove it's a ring before you take a spur from it.

And as said you need to move the cables to a safe zone.

Call me stupid if you want and know you do :D

But a simple continuity meter is not going to "prove" it is on a ring circuit is it?

I might suggest that it is, but there could be all manner of bodges and cross connections that the simple continuity test is not going to reveal isn't there?

No dis to the OP, but without a meter that does low ohms and a knowledge of interpreting the results I don't see how he is going to be sure??

Anyway carry on , don't mind me

Martin

Call me stupid if you want and know you do :D

But a simple continuity meter is not going to "prove" it is on a ring circuit is it?

I might suggest that it is, but there could be all manner of bodges and cross connections that the simple continuity test is not going to reveal isn't there?

No dis to the OP, but without a meter that does low ohms and a knowledge of interpreting the results I don't see how he is going to be sure??

Anyway carry on , don't mind me

Martin

That is of course quite true, but with this being a DIY forum how can you explain all these possibilities, without giving the best advice which has to be GET AN ELECTRICIAN.

Unfortunately most DIYers will not achieve a knowledge or skills of an experienced, qualified electrician.

Sadly I cannot afford an electrician, I can't even ask my landlord to do it because it will be classed as an improvement, not that I would anyway judging by there lack of standard in the first place, am sure all staff for councils are very knowledgeable but they don't have to work to a great standard like for instance a company relying on reputation to further their business, hence why I have a wire outside of a safe zone!!

If I do connect this double socket into the back of the single -

what the worst that can happen, too much load will cause it to trip?

is it such a big deal to put a FCU in anyway?,

is there such thing as a single socket with built in FCU?

Can you put a FCU onto the ring? as I understand a FCU is attached to a spur to allow another spur

As I say please don't mind me I am not really helping and at least you are trying to get the advice you need, there are thousands of instances like this that are done in a way that is outside of the regs, and to differing levels they are all dangerous.

I appreciate your difficulty and probably you won't have a problem, if the socket is only used for low loads in anycase. I just question the wisdom of sending out a message saying do this test and it will prove everything will be OK, or making statements like your relative who is a spark, it just seems to suggest it is fine to oversimplify things. It is like saying all those regs are a waste of space, if you believe that as a member of the public it is one thing, but it is an entirely different thing for a spark to believe.

Get your relative round to prove it is a ring for you, tell him you will do the work if he just advises you.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back