Garage extra socket

Think the aim in a house is not to connect 2 radial branches, in say different rooms to one MCB, so under failure conditions you don’t loose lots of power.
That surely depends upon what alternative(s) one is contemplating, doesn't it? If the alternative is to have a cable(s) (from an MCB) supplying sockets in one room, and then a branch/spur from that to supply sockets in another room, then one still has both rooms at the mercy of one MCB. In the UK, not many people would consider having the sockets in each room fed from separate MCBs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If there was a radial in the loft and a radial in the cellar, then it doesn’t make sense in their opinion to run from the same Mcb

Think the aim in a house is not to connect 2 radial branches, in say different rooms to one MCB, so under failure conditions you don’t loose lots of power.

But it seems OK to have one ring feeding a whole floor!

If there was a radial in the loft and a radial in the cellar, then it doesn’t make sense in their opinion to run from the same Mcb
That might be some people's thinking, and some others might agree (although I don't really see why it makes any difference how far apart the two rooms are) - but it would, anyway, be a 'special case', and not a general reason for not having two feeds from one MCB.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The example being that clearly the cables enter the CU from different directions therefore may as well have another Mcb

The example being that clearly the cables enter the CU from different directions therefore may as well have another Mcb
That doesn't make much sense to me. The cables for the two ends of a ring final (connected to the same MCB) often head off from the CU in totally different directions.

I think you're probably struggling to find 'rationalisations' for something that would often be perfectly reasonable to be regarded as 'bad practice' (or even 'not allowed' - which is not the case).

Kind Regards, John

Theres a line somewhere... and its often difficult to see where it is,

One one side of the line you have circuits with mutiple branches in the breaker that have been designed and installed that way, and on the other side of the line you get the motely collection of jumbed conductors in a single breaker that were clearly intended to be separate circuits, but have been all lumped together becuase the board has run out of space, normally with the neutrals and earths left in the original terminals.

Theres a line somewhere... and its often difficult to see where it is, ... One one side of the line you have circuits with mutiple branches in the breaker that have been designed and installed that way, and on the other side of the line you get the motely collection of jumbed conductors in a single breaker that were clearly intended to be separate circuits, but have been all lumped together becuase the board has run out of space, normally with the neutrals and earths left in the original terminals.
I agree, but I don't think this applies in the OP's case - in which it seems perfectly reasonable (and convenient) to take one additional feed off an MCB in a garage CU (which seemingly is currently feeding just one socket), doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

No one in here was arguing it was relevant to the op
That's true - but I'm very far from convinced that it (the suggestion that it is 'wrong' to connect {just} two conductors to one MCB) is particularly reasonable/relevant to anything.

Kind Regards, John

BS7671 says "An unfused spur may be connected to the origin of the circuit in the distribution board." It is permitting three connections to the MCB.

Really. In most CUs all the cables enter from the bottom and go downwards.

Really. In most CUs all the cables enter from the bottom and go downwards.
Blimey Winston/george/Westfield

what a load of bullocks

just about every one of the old Wylex boards had wiring from the BACK.
these days cabling can come from any direction. You really need to get out more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back