Do I need new fascia boards/soffits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have contacted 3 firms about replacing my guttering 2 of them came and looked from the ground and took measurements, the third one was going to look at the house on Google maps and give a price but couldn't find it. I'm a bit worried that as they only looked from the ground they wouldn't be able to tell if the soffits and fascia boards needed replacing. Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
looking from the ground they could price your job, but to have a true idea of condition no they cant... unless it's very very poor.
google maps, a joke. I have looked on Google maps many times at jobs before visiting site, but would not be happy to rely on it..

Many, many years ago, I used to survey for upvc fascia and soffits, very often if the property is on an estate and there are similar properties about we would already have a good idea about the sate of the timbers.
We would simply cut out any rot when the fitters arrived on site.
However we always stated this on quotes, and made sure that the homeowner knew what we were doing.
If I were you, I would check with the installers what their standard policy is. and if you are unsure, get another quote, and specifically ask about rotten timbers

If the existing fascias are rotten then you would normally see it from the ground below. In any case most can be over clad in plastic - if you like plastic that is

The soffits may be asbestos though, so this needs to be determined

As for the guy pricing from google , if he really is that lazy then tell him to do one.

Make sure your quotes are itemised and state exactly what is and is not included in the work/price

Sponsored Links
As for the guy pricing from google , if he really is that lazy then tell him to do one.
Get with the times Woodstock, i often check the state of my own roof using Google maps, it is really useful.

livecom1.jpg

Yep, definitely not nose's gaff ... I can't see 40 concrete blocks from his last job, no random piles of assorted bricks, no odd bags of sand, no timber offcuts, trestles, rusty acro's, a barrow or belle mixer :rolleyes:

And there are not 20 unfinished jobs or 3 new alterations in progress - as is required by law on any builders residence

Thanks for the advice and taking the trouble to reply. I really need to get this sorted before it rains any more so I think I'll contact one of the guys who quoted and check with him what happens if there is any rotten timber. He is a local man and I do live on an estate so he may have a good idea of the likely state of the soffits.

Just an update. Spoke to guy who did quote on the phone and tole him I was a bit worried that he had only seen looked from gound level and I didn't know what the timber was like underneath. He said he could usually tell from the ground and they looked ok.

When the job was finished (which was a good job as far as I could tell) the one in charge said they had managed to fix the guttering on but it was difficult as the bit underneath they fix it to (which I can't remember the name of) was rotten and I needed a new roof anyway.

What I can't understand is what was the point of doing it if it's just got to be ripped off to put a new roof on. It seems to be a complete waste of money.

... I can't see 40 concrete blocks from his last job, no random piles of assorted bricks, no odd bags of sand, no timber offcuts, trestles, rusty acro's, a barrow or belle mixer :rolleyes:

And there are not 20 unfinished jobs or 3 new alterations in progress - as is required by law on any builders residence

just read this and then looked out of the window and ... :oops:

The gutter is usually screwed to the fascia board, (but not in evey case)
They should have informed you that the timber whatever was rotten not just screwed it up the best they could.. I'd certainly complain about it.. you did express your concerns prior to instalation....

Just because you may need a new roof (or not) does not mean you have to knock the whole house down and start again.

Go on complain..

The gutter is usually screwed to the fascia board, (but not in evey case)
They should have informed you that the timber whatever was rotten not just screwed it up the best they could.. I'd certainly complain about it.. you did express your concerns prior to instalation....

Just because you may need a new roof (or not) does not mean you have to knock the whole house down and start again.

Go on complain..

Totally agree, what was the point in you talking to them before about your concerns if they were just going to ignore them,.
A good installer would have stopped and given you the option, then it is up to you if you want them to screw guttering to rotten boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back