Do i need planning permission for outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm thinking if building a garden shed at the end of my garden using concrete blocks.

The shed eves will be 2.5 meters high. The roof will be 3 meters at the highest point and sloped from front to back.

The size will be 5.5 meters long x 3.5 meters wide. So floor area will be 21 meter squared. It will be built adjacent to the garden fences, like right next to the boundary fences.

Do I need planning permission for this?

I've had a look online, the rules are not clear, it seems I do not need permission as it falls between the permitted developments. But would like some clarification on my actual structure sizes.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
in England PD requires all of an outbuilding to be below 2.5m high if it closer than 2 metres to the boundary

so yes you need planning if in England

in Scotland it must be no more than 2.5m high but can be higher as it goes away from the boundary

Hi guys, I'm thinking if building a garden shed at the end of my garden using concrete blocks.

The shed eves will be 2.5 meters high. The roof will be 3 meters at the highest point and sloped from front to back.

The size will be 5.5 meters long x 3.5 meters wide. So floor area will be 21 meter squared. It will be built adjacent to the garden fences, like right next to the boundary fences.

Do I need planning permission for this?

I've had a look online, the rules are not clear, it seems I do not need permission as it falls between the permitted developments. But would like some clarification on my actual structure sizes.

Thanks in advance
just do it...

It's not ok for permitted development because it's over 2.5m maximum height and within 2m of the boundary.

Since it'sa shed built out of blocks non combustible and less then 30m2 floor area then it's exempt from building regulation even though it's within 1m of the boundary

Sponsored Links
It's not ok for permitted development because it's over 2.5m maximum height and within 2m of the boundary.

Since it'sa shed built out of blocks non combustible and less then 30m2 floor area then it's exempt from building regulation even though it's within 1m of the boundary

Thank you. So I'm guessing I will need planning permission to build it?

On what grounds could they refuse? Some neighbours have them built, everyone here seems to go all the way to the boundary

Yes you will need planning permission, 8 weeks and a few hundred pounds needed.
They can refuse based on planning policy, there are a few things in general terms such as appearance, massing/bulk, and also more particular things which would be in the local plan.
No such thing as precedent in planning, so even if neighbours have them that doesn't directly help you.
Best to either try to get pre planning advice either from the council or just apply and see what they say? I'm not sure tbh. Maybe sometime else has better tips based on experience.

I've recently PPd a garden room 6x3.5 3.3m high to ridge 1m from boundary. I showed an eaves height of 2.3 and showed that it was better for neighbours than a 2.5m wall on the boundary which I could build under PD. Cost ~£250 for PP. I did simple scale drawings and downloaded site and location plans from t'internet for £10 ea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back