Do I Need PLanning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't shout at me! i am finding it hard to decide whether the attached extension will be Permitted Development or not. I have read in a booklet that it will as the rear elevation of the extension is wider than half the original width. A planning consultant told me it would be P.D. but if i was unsure to go for a Certificate of Lawful Development. I don't want my client to pay for CLD aswell as planning so thought i would ask you kindly folk for your opinions as to whether you think it is PD or not? The drawing looks as though the rear elevation of the extension is not wider than half the original width - it is, i have incorrectly sketched this...

Sponsored Links
Looking from the back, if the width of the extension is > one-half the width of the house, it would NOT be permitted development.
This is one of those quirks of the wording of the rules; if the side extension and the rear were built with a tiny gap between them, neither would need planning permission.
(it is surprising that the planning consultant you spoke with would get this wrong).

This is one of those quirks of the wording of the rules; if the side extension and the rear were built with a tiny gap between them, neither would need planning permission.
(it is surprising that the planning consultant you spoke with would get this wrong).

Surely then, by definition of there being a gap, it wouldn't be an extension, per se?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back