Do I need PP to partition my house into two family divisons

I don't know if fire risk is a real issue here, other than the fact most people don't like other people carrying out minor alterations to their property without you first consulting them, or without a planning application or approval, particularly neighbors always seems to get the hump because you are improving your property. Or is it bureaucracy of the planning department or the H&S going overboard? How many people die each year on Britain's Roads, yet what is H&S doing about road accidents and deaths , why aren't they banning all driving, and force people to take to public transport, where trains and buses are driven by highly expert drivers who through some miracle don't get into any accidents, some highly intelligent species, like our gas safe engineers, who save God knows how many millions of lives! we owe it to them! Funny I am yet not dead despite my boiler has never been serviced by a gas safe engineer! That is another miracle!

Would it not save well over 3500 lives and hundreds of thousands of injuries. Why don't they make it illegal to drive ? why not ban all drivers? does it not make sense to save 3500 lives?

Fire risk is going to be negligible especially these days when smoke detectors and early fire detection is so reliable, and one can trust his life on it, and before fire can grab hold of the place, one can fight it before it gets big, using well placed fire blankets and fire extinguishers, as are now mandatory in all HMOs

Most fires occur through carelessness, or faulty appliances, and possibly through old wiring, but my house has relatively new wiring all over, and there is a greater risk of fire from modern gadgets like phone chargers, laptops, etc, so placing additional fire detectors in each bedroom should lower the risk further and have them all wired to a fire alarm panel and sounders placed at strategic points.

That is what they do now in oceans to stop many people loosing their lives if a tsunami was going to occur rather than build a 100 foot tall wall 1/4 mile wide all around the coastal towns, they have early warning system. That really makes more sense than spending a fortune erecting a thick and tall barrier to keep out tsunami waves.

You cannot make most buildings totally fire proof, or fire safe, and most lives are saved by early warning smoke & fire detectors, It is no point having a 30 minute Fire door if a sleeping occupant only awakes up when the fire has broken through a 30 minute fire door and awakes him up, what is he going to do now? jump out of the window hastily and break his legs or even die through a jump? he should have been woken up much earlier so that he could have organised an easy escape through a fire exit or through an escape window, which may take some time to organise without having to jump like placing or lowering a fire escape ladder from the window.

If assuming my cousin and her fellow moves in with me, and we don't partition the house, does it not still impose the same fire risk and threat to our lives? and assuming I don't add a second kitchen as well and she shares the same kitchen, a kitchen fire usually occurs through carelessness, people leaving frying pans on fire and then forgetting about it, I even know how one of my tenant locked herself out when she went to empty her kitchen bin whilst she had a cooking pot on gas fire, she then rang me from a neighbors house to hurry with my duplicate keys, because the cooking pot may burn dry and catch fire, obviously I immediately rushed out with duplicate keys!

we all earn from our mistakes, so now I advice all my tenants to never go out without their front door keys, or at least place something at the door to stop it closing behind them with a draft. In fact it now makes sense to have your utility services outside the house and in an emergency you could turn off gas or electric!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back