Do I need RAID?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My PC came with SiS RAID, but I only have one SATA disk in it (I also have a caddy for an IDE drive, which I rotate a cople of data backup disks in, but it's currently empty awaiting swap)

SiS rad says it is in DMA mode, don't know what that signifies.

AFAIK RAID doesn't work on IDE disks, so I can't see RAID is any use to me.

Is there more to it than that? In a previous life I found RAID slowed down processing on big machines. I wonder if I should disable or uninstall it.

Sponsored Links
RAID is a method of using 2 or more inexpensive hard disks to speed up access (Stripe) or double reliability (Mirror) of a single hard disk.
RAID works with IDE hard disks if they are supported by the motherboard, one of my old PCs had this.
If you are only using one hard disk then RAID is of little use, as your PC is working tho I wouldn't bother messing about with it tbh.

Until someone with more knowledge about RAID comes along you might want to look at this link http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=830. EDIT: Told you someone with knowledge would be along :)

DMA (Direct memory access) mode is a high performance mode for transferring data to and from devices.

RAID should work with IDE HD but there is no point enabling it if you do not add extra disks.

most of the time I have an IDE disk installed for backup, but I either copy files onto it manually, or, with apps that generate their own backups, tell them to store it on the second disk.

I suppose if I could get the hang of using RAID I could make it keep the second disk up-to-date, but surely that would hog system resources?

edited: having had a look at the doc link above, i think Mirroring is the only thing I would benefit from, as a precaution against disk failure. I would not want Striping as it halves reliability :eek: :eek: :eek:

It looks like my motherboard has the SiS RAID controller as I have not added it by card.

I presume I could still swap out the caddy disk, say, once a month, and keep it for offsite backup.

Sponsored Links
John,
From what you say you use the Ext HD for it is not worth having RAID starting up and hogging resources all the time your computer is on.
I have replied to your Startup list in the s/w forum.
dave

Raid IS worthwhile running if you need to protect your Data.
It's all well and good not having a raid set up when all is running well, but as soon as you "lose" a drive along with all your valuable data you will ask yourself " Why didn't I use RAID ?"

RAid is used for a good reason.... To ensure as best as possible that you do not lose data.

I have ran RAID 1 for several years and have twice in that time had to replace a faulty drive... No problem at all.. replace and rebuild array.. Job done.

RAID, in this configuration, is used to decrease the rebuild or downtime associated with a disk crash, rather than to replace data backups. To rely on it as a main backup of important or irreplaceble data is folly.

I think my removable backup drive is a good solution for me, especially as I can swap it out once a month. my accounts are backed up to it daily on file closure without me having to do anything. I have to actively backup docs and email to it when I remember though, about once a month, when I also copy to CD and store away from home.

are there any simple automatic incremental backup tools, free, that might suit me?

RAID, in this configuration, is used to decrease the rebuild or downtime associated with a disk crash, rather than to replace data backups. To rely on it as a main backup of important or irreplaceble data is folly.

I agree. A regular backup of data, kept offsite, is the only way to be completly safe.

But how many ordinary folk do it ? Almost none !!

Thanks, empip. I did that, used the Wizard and tried to set it as a weekly scheduled task (but it didn't run, I must have done something wrong*) then I ran it manually.

I used "incremental backup" and gave it the same directory as I used for my manual backup recently. On examination, I see it has generated a .bkf much smaller than my 9th May one, so I am hoping (don't know how to check) that it saw the 9th May one and only stored the difference. If so, it looks like it is doing just what I want :)

I haven't used the Wizard before, I am trying to remember what I usually manually do that is different (and can't) :oops: Previously I have used Files and Settings Transfer and perhaps it does a very similar job but without the ability to do scheduled incremental backups :confused:

*edit: it was due to error 0x80070005, I have had a look at MS help and ticked permisions which may have fixed it.

I think you need to have a play with the software - NB how the 'archive' attribute is used, I think when the backup is carried out the original files each have their archive attribute turned off. If an original file is altered or a newby created, it's archive 'a' attribute is switched on... That is how the software decides which files have been changed / created since the previous backup...
In file explorer - viewing as details - right click the thin header bar above the file names, from the lengthy drop down list you can choose 'attributes' to be shown, then you will get the drift.

Checkout the advanced part of 'Backup' I only backed up data files not system etc... The latter may require floppy disk access - but not sure there.

:cool:

Probably irrelevant ... edit :- Just noticed next quote for Vista !
File Backup fails with the following error:

Access is denied. (0x80070005)

This error occurs because the recovery partition is enabled for File Backup or System Restore and is almost full. To work around this, do not select D:\ as a backup source. Also, go to System Protection in Control Panel and make sure that D:\ is not enabled for restore points.
???? Does that make any sense?
from CLICK here
-0-[/b]

"do not select D:\ as a backup source" presumably when they say "source" they don't mean "destination" :(

anyway, from what I can see, in my case it is setting up the scheduled task that doesn't work, not the data backup.

I got a hotfix for my prob but it is designed for SP 1 and 2 and won't install on SP3 as it says SP3 is later than the fix.

Isn't Micro$oft great?

A possibility...

You may think a casual surfer has no access to 'experts-exchange' comments... They comprise the final page section, scroll down...
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_22814366.html

The above provided a lead to :-
http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives/2005/12/denied_access_t.html

:cool: or :(

A freeby... May be cool, I believe the files are backed directly and not compressed, could be a bonus there in terms of accessability.
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp#Download

-

Sponsored Links
Back