Do I need to earth metal conduit?

Sponsored Links
In the English language, there is a small two letter word called 'OR'.

Look it up.

sorry no 522.6.5
i) be at least 50mm measured vertically from the top, or bottom as approprite, of teh joist or batten or

ii) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the requirements of these Regulations for a protective conducctor of the circuit concercend the complying with BS 5467, BS 6346 BS 6724 BS 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436 or

iii) be inclosed in earthed conduit complying with BS EN 61386 and satisfying the reqirement of these Regulatios for a protective conductor, or
iv) be enclosed in earthed trunking or ducting complying with BS EN 50085 and satisfying the requirements of teh regulations for a protective conductor, or
v) be mechanically protected against damage sufficient to prevent penetation of the cable by nails and screws

ricewind - note the or at the end of each line in that regulation. You only have to do one of i), ii), iii), iv) or v), not all of them. Therefore if you put in capping or a plate over a joist, you're complying with part v), which doesn't mention that the protection has to be earthed...

Sponsored Links
It would be fun if it wasn't an "OR" situation, armoured cable in a conduit inside a trunking with armoured plating and whilst keeping it 50mm from the top and bottom of the joist :eek: . :LOL:

ricewind - note the or at the end of each line in that regulation. You only have to do one of i), ii), iii), iv) or v), not all of them. Therefore if you put in capping or a plate over a joist, you're complying with part v), which doesn't mention that the protection has to be earthed...

it's been widely acknowledged that capping does not satisfy section V of reg 522.6.5 or section iv of reg 522.6.6 since it will not stop a nail..

joist plates i've never used but I assume that they are of sufficient thickness to stop a nail.. that's the idea of them, to stop you nailing through a cable or pipe..

522.6.5 is cables under a floor, and 522.6.6 is cables IN a wall, not ON it, and 522.6.8 is cables IN a metal stud partition..

none of which apply to conduit ON a wall..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back