Do i need to have my new pipework pressure tested

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Started a self build two storey extension on my house back in 2011 and we are now at the stage of installing the central heating, my father in law is a general builder who has done many plumbing jobs over the years and he has ran in all the pipework.

My question is, does this new pipework have to be pressure tested by a professional plumber for home insurance purposes or can we just connect it up to the existing heating system and just leave it a few days to see if there are any leaks.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
What do your insurers say?
Generally speaking, home insurance doesn't cover pipework, but yours may be different and the only people who can answer that is them

I will check what they say, although what I was wondering is, is it is something that needs to be done for building regs and such like.

Sponsored Links
The main reason for testing is if it would be extremely expensive to find a leak later, ie buried in screed or the consequences would be terrible eg gas explosion.
For normal radiators leaks should be pretty easy to fix if they happen, and unless you've done something silly in my experience most leaks seem to be weeping from compression joints and unions rather than explosive failures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back