Do I need to plaster over bare brick if behind a cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all. I'm putting some cupboards into a hallway and I plan to make it look built in by scribing MDF all the way around the cupboards. The cupboards are Ikea - I don't have the facilities to build cupboards from scratch and getting them made would be too expensive.

I need to remove the skirting board behind the cupboards to get them far back enough to clear a radiator. My flat is in a Victorian house, so behind the skirting board will be bare brick, with wooden battens screwed into the brick, to screw the skirting board onto.

My question is: if I plan on enclosing the cupboards, do I need to do anything to the bare brick? I'm on the first floor, and the wall is a party wall, so I don't think there are any damp issues to look out for.

If I do need to apply e.g. browning, should I just apply it to the wall, all the way down to the original floorboards?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Sponsored Links
Most ikea cupboards have a skirting cut out, although you'd need to make a profile out of card and cut it afresh as Victorian will probably not match.

But if it was me I'd leave the skirting in place and use a fretsaw around the mdf rather than removing it.
The skirting would be a nightmare to replace later, so if you must remove it, keep it somewhere

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back