Do I need to remove the chimney flue pipe on a 20yr house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll start from the top.
I've recently had my back boiler and freestanding gas fire removed from my chimney breast to have my new combi and modern fireplace fitted, but I stall have the 20 (or so) year old corrugated flue pipe running up my chimney.
I've had conflicting advice from my plumber and local gas show room as the plumber suggests installing a flu box onto the back of my Valour Quattro to fit inside the chimney breast to vent into the corrugated flue pipe, but the showroom suggest that the flue pipe is to old and should be removed instead of fitting a flue box, allowing the fire to vent up the open cpen chimney?

Should I ditch the plummer and pay someone to rip out the flue pipe and fit the new fire, or should I buy the £170 flu box and pay the plumber to fit the lot? Suggestions anyone.

Sponsored Links
regs say the fitter should be confident the liner will last the life of the new appliance

it wont

it needs changing /removing

then get the fire fitted assuming the flue passes a flue flow test

I have fitted gas fires with the flue liner still in place as long as it is sealed at the bottom, also the flue restrictor will have to be removed, the best thing to do is phone the manufactures advice line to see if the fire is suitable for this type of application, then get a corgi fitter to install & test fire.

If the existing chimney fails a smoke test it will have to have a flue collecter box and be relined anyway to fit your new fire.

Sponsored Links
corgigazza said:
I have fitted gas fires with the flue liner still in place as long as it is sealed at the bottom, also the flue restrictor will have to be removed, the best thing to do is phone the manufactures advice line to see if the fire is suitable for this type of application, then get a corgi fitter to install & test fire.

20 year old liner

howay

OK, I accept that the liner will be well past it's use by date (so to speak).

Should I just have it removed and get the fitter to stick the fire against the new fireplace surround and check it for leaks then?

Like the smoke test for example :)

I don't suppose you live any closer to Lincoln than Afganistan by any chance do you ;)

muffking said:
Like the smoke test for example :)

I don't suppose you live any closer to Lincoln than Afganistan by any chance do you ;)

With a comment like "howay", I should think so!
My appologies for calling you a southerner kev. :oops:

Ahh Howay (the penny drops). I'll be in Newcastle next month but I can't take my chimney with me though.

I'm not single BTW, but wth muffking as my username I would be no good to you unless you bat for the other side :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back