Do I need to use cable with an earth wire ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps
I am going to fit a socket in the garage by having a plug at one end (into an existing socket) and then running a cable to either a 4 way extension socket or a proper 2 way plug socket, but I planned to use some old lawnmower cable which doesnt have an earth wire and wondered if it would be safe ? I cant afford to have the electrical work done so this is a more economical option. The guy at B&Q said I MUST have an earth if I am using a proper wall socket but if need be I will use a 4 way extn attached to the wall - dont mind which.
Thanks for your advice
Andy C

Sponsored Links
Yes you absoloutly MUST!

This is the one thing that stops you from dying if things go wrong.

Are you for real? I assume this is a wind up?

If you're serious, then for once the advice of the guy in B&Q is correct. Don't even think about running any form of temporary supply to the garage. If you require power there, either save until you can afford to have the job done properly by a professional, or run a pre-fabricated RCD protected extension lead as and when you need it, and pack away when finished.

To add, this sounds like a complete lashup. Theres nothing more permenant than a temporary job.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps

Reason I asked was that I assumed that if there was no earth wire on the lawnmower cable that this must be safe and could therefore be used for other applications, and this is inside and not subject to same risks as a lawnmower (wet grass etc).

So do you think I should discard the 2 core cable and buy 3 core so I can have the earth that you recommend?

Thanks

Andy

Reason I asked was that I assumed that if there was no earth wire on the lawnmower cable that this must be safe and could therefore be used for other applications, and this is inside and not subject to same risks as a lawnmower (wet grass etc).

The lawnmower, assuming it wasn't a relic, was very likely class II double insulated. This type of equipment does not require an earth connection to operate safely.

So do you think I should discard the 2 core cable and buy 3 core so I can have the earth that you recommend?y

Personally, I'm with BAS and Steve. This sounds like a lash-up and nothing you do is going to make it particularly safe, and certainly not compliant with the wiring regulations.

I would suggest you spend your money on an RCD protected extension lead on a cassette or reel, which you can use as and when needed.

Thanks chaps

That's why I asked for your advice beforehand.

I will do it properly.

Still confused about why lawnmower cable is only 2-core, anyone know why this would be used ?

Thanks

Andy C

electronicsuk told you why some equipment only has 2 core...

The lawnmower, assuming it wasn't a relic, was very likely class II double insulated. This type of equipment does not require an earth connection to operate safely.

If the appliance is double insulated then you don't need an earth but you can't use it for connecting sockets, etc. which needs doing properly. I'm no electrician but you're looking to kill yourself if you use odd bits of cable laying around and in your instance an extension reel, which you can buy with a built in RCD, sounds like your only option.

The lawnmower on the end would have been Double Insulated, therefore any metal parts if any, should not ever become live, so it would not require earthing.

In non technical speak (which is about all i can manage) - the purpose of the earth is to provide a path for electricity between any exposed conducting bits under a fault condition back to somewhere safe "the earth" e.g. a live wire comes loose in your washing machine, comes into contact with the metal case and the case is now live and not so friendly if you touch it. If the case is earthed a huge amount of current would flow causing the fuse/breaker to trip - the device is still faulty but its at least stopped you getting fried by touching it.

In some devices the device is designed such that no matter what happens there is no possibility of the device or its handle or any other bit becoming live no matter what happens inside - such devices are rated to be used without an earth connection. Your lawn mower would have been one of them.

You really should pay someone to do this properly but I'm guessing you will do this the dangerous way anyway I suspect so go get a decent quality extension lead with an RCD in it, unreel the extension reel fully (coiled ones carry less current before overheating) get the cable as out of harms way as far as possible and... hope nothing goes wrong.

Thanks all

The advice and anwers are truly appreciated - and I will do it properly now I know that the original idea is totally unsafe...

Cheers

Andy C

Some lawn mowers come with a 2 core extension, but are fitted with a special 2 pin plug / socket that would prevent it being used with appliances that require an earth connection.

I've sometimes wondered (but never bothered to try) if those 2-pin male plugs would mate with a 3-socket female connector.

Anyway - when I needed an extension lead like the one in the drawing I made my own using 3-core cable, even though I could only connect L&N at the mower plug end. The mower may well be DI and not need an earth, but the risks of touching a mangled extension cable are just the same, and I wanted a cpc in that so that the RCD would have a better chance of working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back