do i really need a saniflo??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys and gals any advice appreciated!

we are thinking of turning a small box room into an ensuite. we originally thought of using saniflo products for the waste pipes ,but after reading a lot about them im not sure i want to use them now.... my question to you is..is it feasible to run a soil pipe under the floor from the front room to back of the house, about 7 metres? there is about 7 inches of a gap under the floor and the joists are running the right way....

as you can see its my first post so be gentle!!! and if you cant be gentle then at least be funny!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Without looking at the job, it sounds like it is possible, depends also on where the soilstack is outside.
You are doing right though by trying to avoid the saniflo. They are good for their purpose, but if possible it is better (as long as the drop is enough) and cheaper (in most cases) to fit a proper 4" soilpipe.

what sort of house do you live in terrace or detached ??

Sponsored Links
For your information op, this transformation will require building control to become involved, for their usual fees. So give the council a call, and they will advise you what they require, apart from a cheque :cry:

7 metres run within a 7 inch space is tight, but might just be do-able

Getting water in there isn't normally much of a problem (depends what you've got as to how complicated it has to become), and unless the room is "landlocked" between two rooms, ventilation is normally straightforward.

as for the 4" sewer pipe going between the floor joists you willnot get the fall required by building reg's
as for living in a terraced house the only option you have is the saniflo
the waste can be run between the joists for this
the ventilation can either be through the wall or the roof

a useful thing to know about them is that if a solid object (such as a plastic toilet seat button-should the seat smack down on the pan when you're half asleep) get in the masher; you can kiss it goodbye. i fitted one in france and it lasted 2 weeks because i didn't see the damn thing fall off.
the good news is that the 32mm waste is dead easy to fit and requires little fall so goes along joists a treat. just make sure those solvents are done properly!

I don`t think the fall is covered by build regs. :confused: Anyway I did exact same job years ago in my first house - as it happens I got near 1:40 . But I know that a plastic drain will work as low as 1:80 fall. Anyway get Build control involved. a simple sketch with dimensions should be ok. show as much detail as poss. I had to dig out part of the drain in the garden to allow new connection to soil/vent pipe and onto exist. drain. Showed all this in plan. Had it inspected before backfill, and an air test on the New Part. done -also had air admit valve on stub stack next to new WC. PS> used hole in garden to allow plastic pipe to slide in long lengths through to under floor :idea:

I don`t think the fall is covered by build regs. :confused:
Yes it is; 18mm/metre minimum. Max unvented length is 6m & you can only fit an AAAV if there is another open vent elsewhere on you leg of the system.

Regs also require forced ventilation & possibly sound insulation if you have stud walls; Part P required for any electrics unless you notify but DIY not worth the hassle as many LABC's don't want to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back