Do it myself??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to have a new gas boiler, mains pressure hot water tank, and underfloor heating installed. The floor area of the property is approx 4500 sq. ft. and thanks to some other advice on this forum I know I will need to have polyplumb overlay installed. In addition I want a hot water return installed to give me instantaneous hot water due to some of the long pipe runs involved.

I think this is going to be expensive and my initial thoughts where to get it done by a CH engineer but I am now wondering whether I should do it myself.

There are large downsides to doing it myself as to the uninitiated it seems very complex but on the other hand I am not sure I can afford to have it all done professionally.

Thoughts on whether this is doable/advisable to do it myself ???

D

Sponsored Links
Errrr....you want the work done but you don`t want to pay fully qualified people to do it.. I`d go for the Do it yourself option. ;)

Bamber gaspipe said:
Errrr....you want the work done but you don`t want to pay fully qualified people to do it.. I`d go for the Do it yourself option. ;)

Not quite..... Want the work done, would really like to pay fully qualified people to do it but not sure I can afford it (although not got a price yet). Would rather not do it myself but might be an option I will have to consider. Question is whether its doable / advisable to do this level of job myself.

I am reasonably competent but not a professional

\D

Sponsored Links
well unless you have your acs ticket and unvented h/w ticket you are not competant and will be breaking the law if you do it yourself

possibly buy a smaller house you can afford to maintain and live in |!

Unless you really know what you are doing,you may end up paying more in the long run.
Its not as easy as reading a book and going to B&Q.you can quite easily cock it up without proper knowledge
Get some quotes

2face said:
possibly buy a smaller house you can afford to maintain and live in |!

No....

bigdek said:
well unless you have your acs ticket and unvented h/w ticket you are not competant and will be breaking the law if you do it yourself

Is that right?? never knew that.

Timmyturtle said:
Unless you really know what you are doing,you may end up paying more in the long run.
Its not as easy as reading a book and going to B&Q.you can quite easily cock it up without proper knowledge

Thats what I am afraid of. In general I like anything like this to be done properly so if there is a breakdown of some description I can easily get it sorted. I think I will probably have to bite the bullet and pay for it to be done. I will have to cut back somewhere else. I cant see that I will get any change out of 10k for this??

D

[quote="dunny
Thats what I am afraid of. In general I like anything like this to be done properly so if there is a breakdown of some description I can easily get it sorted. I think I will probably have to bite the bullet and pay for it to be done. I will have to cut back somewhere else. I cant see that I will get any change out of 10k for this??

D
[/quote]

Although my heart goes out to you I can`t help feeling that you can actually afford this. Underfloor heating is not really a necessity & in my own personal experience the people who ask me to install it it can usually afford it, I`ll do yours for about 16k & I`m cheap.

Bamber gaspipe said:
Although my heart goes out to you I can`t help feeling that you can actually afford this. Underfloor heating is not really a necessity & in my own personal experience the people who ask me to install it it can usually afford it, I`ll do yours for about 16k & I`m cheap.

No, I cant really afford it - I will have to find a way of affording it though as it needs doing - its one of the first jobs of the barn conversion I am doing... I will find a way cos I always do. This barn conversion has always been a dream of mine so in some ways it will be a labour of love - pity that love doesnt pay the bills though!!!

As I say I will have to cut back somewhere else - maybe I can also do some of the donkey work for the plumber to get a few quid knocked off!!! I am not complaining at the price for professionals to do the job, I understand that I am paying for their skill/knowledge and often some sort of guarantee. This costs money and its no different than my company charging £1500 per day for one of our consultants to do some work for a customer.

="dunny

No, I cant really afford it - I will have to find a way of affording it though as it needs doing

Feeling a bit of sympathy there.

- its one of the first jobs of the barn conversion I am doing

Feel you are bragging a bit, losing sympathy...Barn conversion, if you said you were living in a terraced house in Hull...let`s move on...

I will find a way cos I always do.

Yeah, Yeah.....Blah...Blah..

This barn conversion has always been a dream of mine so in some ways it will be a labour of love - pity that love doesnt pay the bills though!!!

My Dream has always been to be smothered by Anne Nicoles breasts while eating a 12 0z Rump steak in Frankie & Benny`s. Go figure.

I am not complaining at the price for professionals
to do the job, I understand that I am paying for their skill/knowledge and often some sort of guarantee. This costs money and its no different than my company charging £1500 per day for one of our consultants to do some work for a customer

Nuff said..

[quote="dunny] This costs money and its no different than my company charging £1500 per day for one of our consultants to do some work for a customer.[/quote]

Surely with a turnover per employee of £7500 per week then you should be able to afford a poorly paid heating engineer.

Well even very competent heating engineers are likely to charge that price PER WEEK not per day!

I think we are undercharging!

Tony

Agile said:
dunny said:
This costs money and its no different than my company charging £1500 per day for one of our consultants to do some work for a customer.

Surely with a turnover per employee of £7500 per week then you should be able to afford a poorly paid heating engineer.

Tony

Sorry not MY company!!! The company I work for.... If it where my company I wouldnt have a cash problem...

Bamber Gaspipe said:
Feel you are bragging a bit, losing sympathy...Barn conversion, if you said you were living in a terraced house in Hull...let`s move on...

Free to think what you want of course but this is not the case. I have worked hard all my life and have always wanted to do this. I came from a council estate in Liverpool and its taken me a long time (and a fair amount of luck) to get close to my goal.

Just because I am doing this doesnt mean I have pots of cash - the opposite will be true as soon as we complete. I have sold my house and the four of us (2 kids and partner) will be moving into a caravan for at least the next 18 months in order to achieve this.

D

Aright der wack! `ows it goin` fellah? Dee doo doe don`t dee?

No offence scouse, Good luck but it`s a big job when you are experienced & qualified, the best advice that I can give you is to do all the plumbing yourself if you know what you are doing & leave any dangerous work like gas/ electricity to the qualified chappies.
You can always come on here for advice/ heckling/ abuse :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back