Do sparks overcharge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was in the pub the other night and overheard a sparky bragging that he was going to make nearly £4K for 1 weeks work! Surely he is talking utter cr@p? My friend used to be a spark and made nowhere near that kind of money!

Sponsored Links
Probably a lie. Those that find the need to brag about how much money they make are likely to exaggerate massively. It's the old 'fish that got away' story.

Also consider that what people charge for a job is very different from how much money they personally get.

I was in the pub the other night and overheard a sparky bragging that he was going to make nearly £4K for 1 weeks work! Surely he is talking utter cr@p? My friend used to be a spark and made nowhere near that kind of money!

Sometimes we all overcharge, quoting is a fickle business.
Conversely, for the same reason we can sometimes undercharge.

Sponsored Links
it depends on the job and whether he was talking from a purely personal view and not that of a guy who employs a mate as well..

£4k for a rewire on a big house with a mate to bash in the holes etc, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week than it's entirely do-able..
but then he's got to take out materials and wages for the mate, so he might take home about £2k

I made about £1500 one week working in a factory..
but that was 06:00 - 22:00 for 6 days then 06:00 - 14:00 on the sunday..

My bro-in-law was earning just shy of £6k a MONTH (tax free) earlier this year. But that was working contract inspect and test work on a airbase about 25miles outside of Bagdad with a minimum stint of 6 months errrr......thanks but no thanks.

If he's getting £4k for 1 weeks work here in the UK, does he need a lacky ? I can make a mean cup of tea for the right price :D

"Do Spark's overcharge?"

Only if they don't care if they damage their batteries. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back