Do stripped back railings need both undercoat and overcoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped back some railings right back to the dark metal. I want to paint them black using an oil based paint. But do I need to paint on an undercoat first or is okay to put the finishing coat straight on?

Sponsored Links
If you've stripped them right back as you say then an under coat will be required.

Sponsored Links
i would always recommend priming metal work. for railings i tend to use red oxide primer. this gives good adhesion properties, protects against corrosion and gives a good surface to apply undercoat. make sure you get rid of all rust with a wire brush before priming.

depends on what finish your after though. if glossing i would prime, undercoat and gloss.
another option is prime with red oxide and then apply black hammerite straight over the top.

metal balustrades

Ah, I just presumed you meant exterior railings.
If they are dark then it is probably likely that they are some form of ferrous metal and therefore I would still use some kind of metal primer. It doesn't have to be the zinc phosphate or red oxide as a universal metal primer will be fine indoors.
You may well 'get away' with just the oil based finish coat but, personally, I would use a primer to be sure of longevity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back