Do you bother about Hogmanay/New Year?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up here in Scotland, Hogmanay/New Year celebrations used to be as significant as Christmas, in terms of parties etc. And of course there are things like first footing, although it seems fewer and fewer actively think about traditions such as that. We also have things like the Edinburgh Hogmanay street 'party' if you fancy paying £28 to be crammed in like sardines to stand in the cold and damp.

I used to go out when younger, these days I stay in but I always like to 'stay up for the bells' to see in the New Year. I do know however that some of my family and friends would rather just hit the sack before midnight and don't really give it much thought. I suspect for some it's an emotion thing, as 'the bells' is often a time when folk think about those they have lost, so they'd sooner just go to bed. I understand that 100%.

What about you? Do you do anything whether minor or major to see in the New Year? I've heard folk say that down south, there isn't as much importance put on New Year, however I'm not sure if that's just an old wives tale?

Regardless, I'll take this opportunity to wish you a healthy and happy 2023 :)

Sponsored Links
I'm in Yorkshire, in the Pennines. There's no real "official" celebrations here. But it's always been an absolutely massive night for going out for younger people. Most families I know seem to take it seriously as well, with late meals, and lots of drinking, in large gatherings with friends. And starting at the millennium, and then ever since, lots and lots of fireworks at midnight, all around us.

I find the moment of the New Year quite spiritual, in a way I don't really feel at Christmas.

you fancy paying £28 to be crammed in like sardines to stand in the cold and damp.
I don't see why I should have to pay anything to enter the centre of the city I live in. In fact, there are those who say it is illegal to make one pay.
And, Princes Street Gardens were acquired by the clowncil to be used as a public park.
Don't get me started.

I don't see why I should have to pay anything to enter the centre of the city I live in. In fact, there are those who say it is illegal to make one pay.
And, Princes Street Gardens were acquired by the clowncil to be used as a public park.
Don't get me started.
Same with pubs that you an just walk in and have a drink any day/night of the year.
Christmas/New Year they slap down a £10 entrance charge and, (sometimes), bump the prices up by a few coppers.
Over here in East Anglia New Year is quite quiet. We now live in the countryside so don't see anyone unless the farm across the fields have family visiting, then they tend to let off a few fireworks but far enough away not to bother us. Even when we lived in the town the neighbours never came out at midnight to let the New Year in.

Sponsored Links
Oh yes! If anything more so than Christmas.
Christmas we have held with the family for the last 20+ years.
New Year we will be with friends at a street party.

My parents were Scots who moved down south when I was a kid.
My Mum often said that Xmas wasn’t “a thing” in her youth.
i don’t think Xmas was a public holiday till the 60s?

New Year was always more important.

i can’t really be arsed with either, although I tend to stay up to midnight plus due to the amount of fireworks stopping an early night.

And starting at the millennium, and then ever since, lots and lots of fireworks at midnight, all around us.

Usually similar around here. I heard a few fireworks Christmas Eve, but a long way off in the far distance. I personally make nothing of it at all special - I don't make a point of staying up for it. Visitors are due, on the actual day itself, though.

Had some great celebrations as a young man, but don't bother now. Usually too tired by midnight!

Yeah, same here. Used to go out and live it up, but since we've had kids, we just stay up to watch the celebrations on TV then turn in.

New years day is the big day in my town every pub and club is absolutely rammed and every pub apart from spoons allows every single person to bring a standard bottle of spirits in free of charge have to buy the mixer in the pub.
All have music on with quite a few having bands and singers on and various pipers appear in all the pubs making quite a few bob

Sponsored Links
Back