Do you use expired cans/tubes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been sorting through stuff and seem to have accumulated a bunch of full or partly full cans or tubes. Most of it's expired 2014,2015, mid (2016).

Loads of tubes of no-nonsense silicone (white and clear). Expanding foam (some of the necks are choaked), filler, adhesive spray for vinyl/underlay. Some of them have not been opened at all.

Any reason to keep these or maybe I should drop them down the recycling yard?

IMG_20120103_044707.jpg

This is about half of it.

What about unopened ones? Are they still usable 2-3 years after expiration ?

Sponsored Links
I once had a problem with decorator's caulk. I used it more than a year past its expiry date, and it never cured but just stayed semi-liquid. Given that a tube is about a quid, I won't do that again.
Expired silicone I have used without problems though (as long as it comes out of the tube).

Sponsored Links
I've just finished off a bag of out of date plaster. It went off a bit sharpish, but apart from that it was fine.

On the same job, I've also used an opened tube of filler that was a little more viscous than it was when new, but worked a treat and sanded down beautifully.

Don't use silicone past its sell by. Similar to chris1982's experience, I once used a tube of silicone sealant, and wondered why the silicone was still wet the next day. When I checked, the tube was a couple of years out of date. Had to clean off and re-do. Not worth the risk.

all depends on the consequences compared to cost saving
but its seldom worth the risk if something is more about 50% over the shelve life especially if its stored somewhere where is will often be below about 5 degrees and if it ever gets to or below freezing i would just throw it away even if its in date as frost can kill most waterbased products

I've used plenty of out of date expanding foam which was fine, the only issue was the valves on the cans were stuck tight, and once I'd got them started the foam just came out in one go, ie it wouldn't shut off again so risky!

I used some of the silicone to fit an l shape trim to a shower so if it doesn't go off it'll have to be re-done. It came out fine. No issues with the application. This will be a test to see if it works.

Sponsored Links