Document J of the Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had a little help on here i thought i would pass on a little information from my own trade which is Chimneys and Flues.Some of you may know about this,others may not.

A new revision of the Building Regulations is now available and must be followed as of 1st October 2010.

The main changes to the regulations are as follows:

From the 1st October 2010 you must install a battery powered Carbon Monoxide Detector into the room where the Stove has been installed. Without this the HETAS installer will not sign off your installation.

Previously any stove under 5kw did not require an air vent. As from 1st October 2010 the rules have changed slightly. If your house was built on or after 1992 you would require an airvent, regardless of the output of the stove. This is due to houses becoming more and more insulated and less draughty therefore the need for replacement air into the room is required.

When you install a woodburning or multifuel stove the regulations state that you must step up to a 6" flexible liner if you purchase a stove with a 5" flue outlet. This rule is staying the same EXCEPT for stoves that are Defra Smoke Control Approved. If you purchase a Defra approved stove then you can now install a 5" flexible liner. If your stove is not Defra approved you must increase to 6" as always.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back