Which liner for multifuel stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to install a multifuel stove and after lots of research have plumped for this:

http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/firefox-5-cleanburn-woodburning-multifuel-stove-p-6401.html

We don't need masses of heat, so 5kw is ample.
The installation will be done by a HETAS qualified fitter.
However, I'm still confused on the grade of chimney liner I require, as different fitters are giving conflicting advice!!

I live in a smokeless zone and, according to the manufacturer, the stove can burn smokless fuels and wood with DEFRA approval (it can also burn coal but not in a smokeless zone).
Would a 316/316 grade liner be suitable to burn both of these, as all listings seem to indicate they are suitable for "some smokeless fuels" but don't specify which?!

The fitter will supply the liner, so we aren't going for cheapo internet rubbish. And we don't intend to be in our house more than 10 years so don't see the longer guarantee with teh higher quality liners an issue.

Can anyone clarify which liner I need/which fules I can burn with 316/316?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Well burning coal produces acid condensate in the flue, so it is more aggressive than burning wood. If you use the stove a lot and burn it hard or leave it burning overnight (not recommended), that will decrease the life too.

For me, I found the difference between a 316/316 and 904/904 was only a tenner a metre extra and an extra £60 on my project. A drop in the ocean considering the overall cost. Factoring in a worst case scenario that a liner failing and leaking un-noticed could cost your life, or last longer if heaven forbid you have a chimney fire it seemed sensible to pay the extra £60.

If the heat output is important to you i.e. you think you do need close to 5 kw, you should check how they measure the figure for the stove. Some approved methods are ridiculous giving probably 100% more than a normal user would get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back