Flexi liner for wood burning stove, yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group, I'm looking at installing a small wood burning (multi fuel) stove in an existing fireplace. I have approx 3 metres of 5" rigid flue pipe which enters the base of the chimney stack from the stove The chimney stack is in very good condition, will I need to line it, and if so can I use one of the 5" flexi liners advertised on EBay, or will a wood burner run too hot for these liners/
Regards Otto

PS:- House is old Edwardian

Sponsored Links
a liner is safest bet, has chimney been tested or are you assuming it's ok? and make sure when you buy a liner, don't get a gas liner by mistake

I'm assuming its OK, I've had it swept and the sweep told me that it looks OK and shouldn't have any issues.
Regards Otto

Don't know about the temperature but talking to a friend recently, he said that the flexis are very difficult to clean properly i.e. soot ( or tar) build-up in depressions.

Sponsored Links
Be aware that fitting a stove is notifyable building work unless you use a HETAS registered installer who will install, test & issue a certificate of compliance. If you DIY, you need to comply with several Building Regulations, submit a Building Notice & will get a certificate of compliance from LABC & you will need to one when you sell up. If you don’t have one at all, you could invalidate your insurance in the event of a problem. ;)

If the chimney is sound you can use it. Test it with a smoke bomb (cap pot and board over recess ingle nook) to check for soundness.

You are not allowed to use a 5" flexi on a stove that burns wood unless the stove is one of the few DEFRA approved for a smokeless fuel zone and then you can only use seasoned wood (below a certain % moisture content). Otherwise step up to 6" which is allowed for wood.

Note that stoves need to be fitted under Building Control or HETAS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back