Wood burning stove liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a gas fire removed and am thinking about putting in a wood burner..

The gas fire had a liner fitted which looks in good nick and not very dirty. I know these liners aren't tough enough to handle the heat from a stove. However, I measured it to be 7" wide, the stove should have a 5" wide liner- is there any reason not to put the new liner inside the old one (say about 5 metres up)? Surely the heat would dissipate enough by this height not to damage the old liner?

House is a 30's det. bungalow with an internal fireplace

thanks!

Sponsored Links
you need a class one liner full height its to do with the tars/resins in the wood as far as i know

also the draw wouldn't be the same after the top as the opening is bigger possibly dropping tars and gasses down the gap with the connected safety issues

No, you need a full height class 1 liner of a diameter specified by the stove manufacturer or it won’t operate efficiently & installed as you suggest would be dangerious. The flue liner should also be insulated to help maintain temperatures in the top of the flue & provide enough draw for stove efficiency, reduce tarring & corrosive gasses condensing in the top part of the liner.

You should also be aware that installing a wood burner/stove is controlled building work unless you use a HETAS registered installer. You can DIY but need to understand the associated Building Regs, submit a Building Notice, have the installation inspected & witness tested to get a certificate of compliance from Building Control.

Having no certificate will give problems when you come to sell & may invalidate your house insurance in the event of an associated claim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back