Dodgy chimney stack support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owners removed one of the chimney breasts (RHS) and supported the chimney stack with a few timbers. The timbers don't even appear to support the whole depth of the stack...

How safe is this and what options do I have in case it needs to be made safer? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8215.JPG
    IMG_8215.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_8217.JPG
    IMG_8217.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_8218.JPG
    IMG_8218.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We moved in 2 months ago. I suspect it has been like that for a decade at least

Well, that's how many are done and if its been like it for years then it probably will be for years to come.

Otherwise, you will need to fit a couple of gallows brackets and and a plate by removing about 5 courses.

If you recently purchased, that should have been picked up on any survey, and it should have also been flagged up by the conveyancer as it does not conform to building regualtions and it should do. The previous owners should have been asked about "any building works" in the standard questions too.

Sponsored Links
Well, that's how many are done and if its been like it for years then it probably will be for years to come.

Otherwise, you will need to fit a couple of gallows brackets and and a plate by removing about 5 courses.

If you recently purchased, that should have been picked up on any survey, and it should have also been flagged up by the conveyancer as it does not conform to building regualtions and it should do. The previous owners should have been asked about "any building works" in the standard questions too.

We had a homebuyer's survey done, the surveyor used the standard boilerplate "could not access loft because of a number of items stored up there" in his report. Also, reading other people experiences it sounds like a homebuyer survey is practically useless and that there is little if no recourse for stuff they don't pick up. Previous owner is not being cooperative, so can't get any info from them. I know he bought the house in 2006, and the chimney stack support might have been built before he purchased it.

We have called a structural engineer for a separate matter, I might ask him about installing gallows brackets...

Thanks for the help

I had the same issue when i moved into my house back in 2004, whatever was left of the chimney was resting on timbers placed on the joists in the loft, i used to get cracks on the ceiling below this. Within a few months i called someone in to fit in gallows brackets with a iron plate to support the stack, problem solved.

Years later i did a dormer and had whole stack removed and now have the iron plate in the garden with a fine coat of rust.

Your pic shows no serious cracks/movement on the brickwork but does show recent mortar between bricks.

I had the same issue when i moved into my house back in 2004, whatever was left of the chimney was resting on timbers placed on the joists in the loft, i used to get cracks on the ceiling below this. Within a few months i called someone in to fit in gallows brackets with a iron plate to support the stack, problem solved.

Years later i did a dormer and had whole stack removed and now have the iron plate in the garden with a fine coat of rust.

Your pic shows no serious cracks/movement on the brickwork but does show recent mortar between bricks.

Did you have to consult a structural engineer before fitting the gallows brackets?

Tbh I wouldn't mind having the whole bloody thing removed, then I could get rid of the chimney breast in the bedroom to free up some space. It's a shared stack but the neighbour says he's not interested in having it. I suppose it wouldn't be cheap to remove though.

We had a homebuyer's survey done, the surveyor used the standard boilerplate "could not access loft because of a number of items stored up there" in his report.

Regardless of that, seeing no breast in the room, but a chimney on the roof puts the surveyor on notice that there is something that needs checking, which in turn should be raised in his report and then the conveyancer asks further questions.

So the "can't access" excuse is not an exemption from reporting on what might be an issue that needs further investigation.

Last edited:
Did you have to consult a structural engineer before fitting the gallows brackets?

Tbh I wouldn't mind having the whole bloody thing removed, then I could get rid of the chimney breast in the bedroom to free up some space. It's a shared stack but the neighbour says he's not interested in having it. I suppose it wouldn't be cheap to remove though.

No, with hindsight i should have but i just called a number i had for a builder, he turned up, saw it and sent his sons on a sunday to do it one afternoon for about £200.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back