Dodgy Double Glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :D

Can someone help me please?

My OH bought his house about 4, 5 years ago. We have noticed of late that our upstairs windows (front and back bedroom) have a problem with the double glazing - condensation in between the panes of glass.

We just got a quote off a friend of a friend (of a friend) and he said they could sort for £525 cash, but the glass is only guaranteed for 5 years (I thought the standard was 10? :( ) and nothing on the frames, but "if anything goes wrong with them i'll awlays sort it out".....

I'm just wondering, are we better of going with one of these companys off TV who seem to be always on with BOGOF offers as surely they will guarantee for 10 years and also the frame too?

Can't be doing with having loads of random people trapsing through the house to give a quote, so does anyone know what would be a resonable price for 2 upstairs double glazed bedroom windows?

Thanks in advance :oops:

Sponsored Links
internal or external bead? internal is a lot easier as you can work from indoors :)

just two windows? doesn't sound cheap, and i'd expect a 10 yr written guarantee. if bead is internal then i'd expect it to take me and another person an hour or so if all went well fitting, plus measuring, collection etc.

have you considered ordering your own and refitting with a diy savvy friend?

did a whole bunch this summer at a friends and all we needed was one bit of profile we mangled getting out and some adhesive spongy foamy tape stuff.

he ordered the units, can't recall what he paid but i have a notion they were about £75 a unit?

and those were external beads done off a pair of ladders.

they must be some size of of windows £525 to replace 2 misted units :eek:

There's plenty of small d/g repair companies out there which will replace the units for a fraction of that.

get more quotes!

internal or external bead? internal is a lot easier as you can work from indoors :)

just two windows? doesn't sound cheap, and i'd expect a 10 yr written guarantee. if bead is internal then i'd expect it to take me and another person an hour or so if all went well fitting, plus measuring, collection etc.

have you considered ordering your own and refitting with a diy savvy friend?

did a whole bunch this summer at a friends and all we needed was one bit of profile we mangled getting out and some adhesive spongy foamy tape stuff.

he ordered the units, can't recall what he paid but i have a notion they were about £75 a unit?

and those were external beads done off a pair of ladders.

Heheh...I don't know anyone remotely good at DIY!

Sorry I don't know off the top of my head about the beading as I'm at work, or the window size but it looks like this (top left):

http://www.dave-edwards.biz/Windows.html

btw this is just a local d/g firm I just found.

Sponsored Links
Girlie, lets just clarify - is that quote for replacing just the glass in both windows or the glass AND both frames?

Just because your units have steamed up (quite common) doesn't mean you need the frame/s replacing, don't be ripped off by being talked into having more work done than you need.

As far as guarantees go then you'll sometimes get a 10 year guarantee on the job lot and some 10 years on frames and only 5 years on glass so thats something you need to ask but in any case you must must must get an insurance backed one

Girlie, lets just clarify - is that quote for replacing just the glass in both windows or the glass AND both frames?

Just because your units have steamed up (quite common) doesn't mean you need the frame/s replacing, don't be ripped off by being talked into having more work done than you need.

As far as guarantees go then you'll sometimes get a 10 year guarantee on the job lot and some 10 years on frames and only 5 years on glass so thats something you need to ask but in any case you must must must get an insurance backed one

The quote was for glass and frames for both.

Perhaps I should get some alternative people to come in then, to look and then quote. But what is to stop everyone saying yes to new frames, just for the extra money? :confused:

I got a quote from a local firm over the phone this morning, after giving some details about the frame size, type of window etc and he said £550-£600..... :mad:

if its only the units which have failed why are they replacing the frames?

But what is to stop everyone saying yes to new frames, just for the extra money?

Nothing i guess :cry: but you've been clever and asked on here for advice first so you're one step ahead, ask them why if they quote for the complete window.

Trust me, you do not need a complete window ;)

Cranks so right, but the guy must be thick cos the profit margin on sealed units is far better than complete replacement windows when you consider the time/labour/disposal costs.

Please help...........

I had my house double galzed in 2007. and I had no end of problems and I have had the installations director out to check out the work and it has all been put right, but now I have a crack in the frame of my front door. the director came out in August and said he will be in toch in a week or so. Well, no word yet - I would like to issue a letter before action but I do not know if I can do this and then go to county court to get my money back so that I can get someone in to change the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back