Dodgy Ferroli Modena 102

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Before I even start explaining the problem can I just say I've no idea about any "technical terms" regarding boilers so you will have to make any replies "Idiot Proof".

Basically I've got a Ferroli Modena 102 that won't fire up properly. If I use the reset switch the boiler will fire up for about 5 seconds and then cut out however the boiler shutdown light DOES NOT come on. Throughout the day the boiler may then keep firing up and then down but sometimes it stays on all day.

The main pain is the DHW. If the boiler is on the central heating is fine however as soon as I turn a hot water tap on the boiler will turn off and not fire up again.

The weird thing is that intermittently the boiler works perfectly. Last week both CH and DHW worked fine yet I haven't changed anything and now it is not working again...

Any ideas before I call out a engineer??

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
A change of both thermistors only about £15 a pair sorts most strange and intermittant faults on these boilers.

Check that the diaphragm is operating and pushing the lever arm enough to operate the electrical switch.

Sponsored Links
You're right :oops: . I was working on two boilers on Friday, the Modena and a Vokera - got them mixed up!

Its usually Chris who has to tell me that!

Can also be problem with the fan/aps.

Tony

HarrogateGas said:
A change of both thermistors only about £15 a pair sorts most strange and intermittant faults on these boilers.

Thanks for your replies...Like I say I'm not very experienced with working on boilers at all. When you say thermistors do you mean these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ferroli-80032...oryZ3191QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are these easy to replace? Any chance of a quick guide on how to replace them or shall I just call an engineer out and if I did any idea on how much I should be looking at for the job?

Thanks...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
They look like the ones:you need to replace both to avoid messing about! Ferroli sell them in pairs anyway.

They're 'wet' sensors: you need to turn off the electricity supply and the cold water supply to the boiler and isolate it from the rest of the CH (valves underneath), then drain it before unscrewing the sensors. Also, because of the position of the CH sensor, any water left in the boiler will run all over the electronics if you're not careful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back