Dodgy lighting spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been decorating which has lead me to discover some more wonderful electrics in our home. 2 metal Wall lights either side of the bed spurred from a ring socket and switched with 2 2way 2 gang metal switches.

The lights and switches weren't earthed so I've changed the switches over to plastic and managed to recover 1 cut back earth from an existing cable plus run a new earth down to a socket on the same ring below the other light (the 2 3 core cables running between them don't seem to have earths in them) so now the lights are both earthed.

Not ideal but leaves 1 remaining problem, they have been spurred off the 2.5mm main using 1 or at best 1.5mm cable without being fused down. Having just decorated I'd prefer not to have to install a FSU in a new hole in the wall and/or damage the decoration attempting to run new cable (the 3 cores run in plastic surface trunking along the skirting board but it looks like they had fun getting them through a stud in the wall).

What options are left? I had wondered if there was such a thing as an inline fuse that I could put in the back of the socket but it seems they are not very common and probably not meant for this purpose. I had thought of running cable upto the loft above and back down to get rid of the surface trunking but that involves a lot of work too (it's fully boarded).

I guess the risk is that the lighting cable could be overloaded but how likely is that in reality? Must have been like this for 20 years. I see in a recent thread that there was a spur in smaller cable that wasn't fused down that got a C3 which I assume is livable?

Sponsored Links
I think that reference to a C3 was sarcastic, can't be sure though.

What about a surface mounted FCU under the bed? Minimal disruption and if it's under the bed it's not the end of the world that's it not flush

Thanks, I might look into breaking into the wall from the room at the other side, at least that's only painted not papered. Then I can run the cables properly and replace them at the same time.

You mentioned a stud in the wall? Does that mean it's plasterboard - in which case cutting it open to insert an FCU needn't disrupt your decoration. If it's a stud for lath and plaster it's a different matter of course ...

pj

Sponsored Links
You mentioned a stud in the wall? Does that mean it's plasterboard - in which case cutting it open to insert an FCU needn't disrupt your decoration. If it's a stud for lath and plaster it's a different matter of course ...

pj

Yes just PB but thinking longer term I'd like to get rid of the surface trunking for the 3 core so going in behind to deal with any studs in the way may help with running replacement cable.

I think that reference to a C3 was sarcastic, can't be sure though.

If that was my post, yes it was sarcastic! Perhaps I should change it invade people get the wrong idea and think having 1mm off the bring is perfectly fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back