Does an RCD protect someone from electrocution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if an RCD protects someone from electrocuting themselves? For example if someone fits a plug and lets say they dont fit it correctly does an RCD prevent the plug from "blowing up"?

I remembered that my dad once replaced a plug for our cooker and when he turned it on the whole plug blew up, some how he didnt kill himself there was just a huge bang and alot of sparks, the whole fuse was melted. When I looked it seemed that he didnt fully connect the earth cable since abit of the cable was sticking out of the plug inside?

Anyway we have recently had an RCD fitted by an electrician, one of our TV's downstairs seems to needs its plug replacing. Ive choppped the cable off and fitted a new plug, Earth for Green, Live Brown and Blue neutral. Made sure that they are all fully inserted, but a little bit of cable is sticking out when its fully inside the plug... Is this SAFE?

I just want to check that an RCD will protect myself if somthing goes wrong :rolleyes: .

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If this is a serious enquiry, then where the rcd was fitted will determine whether or not it will protect you from using a faulty plug.If it is part of a new consumer unit & protects all the sockets in the house, then yes it will disconnect quickly enough to prevent you from being electrocuted in the event of you touching a component being made live by the incorrect wiring of a plug, however you should not rely on on that & instead should correct the mistakes within the plug. From your description I hope you mean the insulated conductors are showing, not bare wire & although this is not immediately dangerous it can lead to wires pulling out of their terminals & becoming dangerous. You should start again with the plug & ensure that the cable grip is present & tightened onto the outer sheath of the cable, not the cores. You have the colour code correct, so just shorten the cores if necassary to get the outer sheath into the plug. If the cable grip is missing then throw the plug away & get a new one. Sorry to say this but it sounds like your dad made some pretty basic & possibly lethal mistakes, please learn how to fit a plug properly & do not rely on protective devices.

The RCD protects from live-earth faults (electrocution mostly falls into this category).

It DOES NOT protect from overload or live-neutral shorts which you can get in a badly wired plug (if you short live to earth supply side of the plug fuse the fault will see 30A plus while it melts/goes bang).

Also, the RCD will reduce the level of electrical shock that you may get. But you'll still get a belt but for a shortish period of time.
RCDs used for protection on sockets are rated at 30mA. Studies have shown that 'usually' the heart needs over 40mA for 200mSec to go into fibrulation so it is calculated that 30mA will give a reasonable level of protection.
They are not a catch all 100% safety blanket. they are an electro-mechanical device and (as such) can go wrong - that's why they need to be tested every 3 months.

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Also, the RCD will reduce the level of electrical shock that you may get. But you'll still get a belt but for a shortish period of time.
RCDs used for protection on sockets are rated at 30mA. Studies have shown that 'usually' the heart needs over 40mA for 200mSec to go into fibrulation so it is calculated that 30mA will give a reasonable level of protection.
They are not a catch all 100% safety blanket. they are an electro-mechanical device and (as such) can go wrong - that's why they need to be tested every 3 months.

but do bear in mind its around 5mA that is FATAL, but that has to be across your heart

breezer said:
but do bear in mind its around 5mA that is FATAL, but that has to be across your heart
Really? So what effect does 5mA have on the average heart?

And how would you apply it "across your heart"? :confused:

Stopping the heart by electric shock is NOT fatal.

The fatal bit comes when it is not re-started or effective CPR is not applied soon enough after it stopped.

To further add, An RCD will not protect you from shards of metal and plastic when you cock up your wiring and it does go BANG.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back