weather proof rcd protected sockets outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.need some advice.i am planning to fit rcd protected weather proof double socket outside so we can use lawnmower or anything electric outside without using extension outside.i have rcd protected CU.i also have one double socket comming out of CU beside it.this socket has water pump plug in one side .this weather proof box is going to be directley outside the wall.i am thinking instead of flat 2.5 cable use heat resistent round 2.5 flex.it enters right behind the box sealed all round box and inside fit standard 13amp plug and plug it in the socket already there whenever we need to use it.is it ok this way or we need any special cable.thanks.

Sponsored Links
If I am reading correct you want to install a fixed extension lead which when required will be plugged into a RCD protected socket using a round 2.5mm cable?

The only problem that I foresee is getting 2.5 mm cable into a 13A plug with some it would be tight.

I would also be wary about sealing too well. Having a small hole to allow water to leave box is often better than trying to fully seal. Often the supplied seal is a little short and one leaves a small gap at the bottom.

All electrical installations should be tested. I would at least use one of the plug in testers.

Be aware outside sockets for lawn movers often can't be used to supply caravans and cars because of the special earthing requirements.

If the outside socket is going to be supplied by a plug then there is no point using 2.5mm² cable.

There's also no point using an RCD socket if the circuit is already RCD protected.

But having a cable with a plug as you describe is really tacky. Put a double-pole switch on the circuit inside, and use twin & earth from that to the outside socket.

What is the circuit with the indoor socket already on? Is it a ring? A proper radial? A spur from a ring which just happens to come from the breaker?

If the outside socket is going to be supplied by a plug then there is no point using 2.5mm² cable.

There's also no point using an RCD socket if the circuit is already RCD protected.

But having a cable with a plug as you describe is really tacky. Put a double-pole switch on the circuit inside, and use twin & earth from that to the outside socket.

What is the circuit with the indoor socket already on? Is it a ring? A proper radial? A spur from a ring which just happens to come from the breaker?
problem is i already have rcd protrcted double socket.the socket inside is direct from cu as a radial. i wanted switch inside so power can be trrminated when not in use.if i take feed from existing socket into switched fcu and then feed 2.5 straight to socket out side.this way switch inside can stay off when not in use.or can i take 2.5 into fcu direct from cu and then feed out side to socket or does it has to be on ring main cercuit.there is no ring main in this area.

Sponsored Links
problem is i already have rcd protrcted double socket.
That's not a problem.

the socket inside is direct from cu as a radial. i wanted switch inside so power can be terminated when not in use.if i take feed from existing socket into switched fcu and then feed 2.5 straight to socket out side.this way switch inside can stay off when not in use.
That's ok.

IF it is a radial - 20A mcb ? - you don't need another fuse, just a 20A double pole switch.

or can i take 2.5 into fcu direct from cu
Depends what the circuit arrangements are.

and then feed out side to socket or does it has to be on ring main cercuit.there is no ring main in this area.
It doesn't have to be on a ring.

problem is i already have rcd protrcted double socket.
That's not a problem.

the socket inside is direct from cu as a radial. i wanted switch inside so power can be terminated when not in use.if i take feed from existing socket into switched fcu and then feed 2.5 straight to socket out side.this way switch inside can stay off when not in use.
That's ok.

IF it is a radial - 20A mcb ? - you don't need another fuse, just a 20A double pole switch.

or can i take 2.5 into fcu direct from cu
Depends what the circuit arrangements are.

and then feed out side to socket or does it has to be on ring main cercuit.there is no ring main in this area.
It doesn't have to be on a ring.
Hi ,double socket aqlready fitted close to cu was there when we moved into house 4 years ago.i think it comes out of 32amp mcb in cu not 20 amp.does this socket needs to be on 20 amps.i have 2 spareways which can have 20 amp mcb then i can take feed through double pole switch to outside socket.

so what made you think it was a radial? What is the cable size?

sure socket is from 32A braker (ring main).
Then it is not a radial, and you may not just add another socket to it.

If you want another socket you must put a fused connection unit before the first one and supply both of them from that.

sure socket is from 32A braker (ring main).
Then it is not a radial, and you may not just add another socket to it.

If you want another socket you must put a fused connection unit before the first one and supply both of them from that.
thanks.its not a problem easy to put fcu before existing socket .what size fuse is needed in fcu.only one problem for me is the socket inside needs to stay on all the time because i have water pump pluged in in cellar.the new socket outside i want switch inside so it can be switched on whenever neede otherwise stays off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back