Does AVG Internet Security slow down computer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having run the free version of AVG for some time with no problems I foolishly decided to pay for AVG Internet Security and downloaded it a few days ago. Since then the computer runs like the proverbial tar going up a hill. I am also baffled by msgs asking if I will allow programs to access the internet when there is no obvious reason (to me) that they should. For instance why would Olympus Master 2 want to access the internet when the camera is not in use ?

The new program has scanned twice since being downloaded and reports nothing dire - usual 200 odd 'potential threats' which I believe are a fact of life if one accesses the internet ?

I also have Windows Defender, Ad-Aware and Spybot installed and wonder if I should remove any of them as there might be a conflict ?

I have an ADSL router which I believe works as a firewall.

Any information to assist this computer illiterate will be gratefully received !

Sponsored Links
Like you I have upgraded to AVG from free version. The only slowing down I notice is initial start of Windows XP. Not seen anything to suggest general slowing down.

It has caused some issues with logging into this site though - I had to disable Link scanner and partially disable Web shield to enable log on.

Might be worth checking that you have not set auto scan at system start up or scheduled scans. If set the scanning process will start when computer starts thus slowing your system considerably. A clue in your post is that it has scanned twice and found nothing - unless you initiated scan then it strongly suggest that automatic scanning is enabled.

As you say Windows Defender, Ad -Aware and Spybot may be causing conflicts especially if you have set them to load at system start up. You may not need to remove the programs just set them so that they do not run at system start up - in Spybot goto Settings/ System Start up and click no automation button. Do the same if possible for the other programs.

Messages telling you that known programs want access to internet usually signify that program is set to look for updates to software at certain times. If you do not know the program then you should proceed with caution.

There could also be issues with running more than one firewall. If you use XP and have the Windows firewall on as well as the one supplied with your router it may cause problems. Look in Control Panel / Security Centre and disable Firewall - NOTE: Only do this if you are sure that your router software provides a satisfactory Firewall.

Hope this of some help

Tony -
thank you very much indeed for all that. I will print it out and go through everything you mentioned ! When presented with an option to schedule a scan with AVG, I did set it to happen at 11.00 daily but I have just looked and it says last scan yesterday at 11.00.... Obviously didn't happen today so I had better investigate what is going on there.

As far as I know (but I will be checking) SpyBot and Ad-Aware have to be run manually but I think Defender does auto-run.

Anyway, thanks again and I shall look at everything you suggest. The slow rate of progress reminds me of my old Windows 98 - a bit short on resources !

I have XP/SP2 and reading the horror stories about Vista I hope I can keep it for a while yet. :)

AVG Internet Security comes with a Firewall included. It should have turned off the Windows Firewall but check in the XP Security Centre that it is Off.

Windows Defender is a 'real time' program meaning that it runs in the background when ever your computer is on. This is fine as it will not cause any conflict with other security software.

To check what is starting up when your computer boots up go to Start -> Run and type msconfig in the box and click OK.
Click on the Startup tab and make a note of every item in the start up list.
You can check out most of them here:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
Some are self explanatory but some are a bit confusing.
Windows Defender is 'MSASCui' in the list so leave it ticked.
The AVG will be there and some others. It is these 'others' that need checking out to see if you need then running all the time.

As an example my Startup list consists of ZoneAlarm Firewall, Windows Def, Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus, SuperAntiSpyware and my Netgear wireless adaptor. The less you have starting up the quicker and also the less resources needed when running the PC.
dave

[/b]

Sponsored Links
Well, dave.m, that was a revelation !

I had a look at the Start Up list and guess what - there are twenty items on there :rolleyes: I had a quick look at the 'answers that work' website which you kindly sent me and it is very interesting indeed. It was well after midnight when I saw your post so didn't start on the job of checking out the entire list, though I did see AVG and also Windows Defender. I am out this morning but will apply myself this afternoon !

AVG hadn't turned off Windows Firewall but I had done it manually following the suggestions from TonyW. The computer appears to be slightly faster but maybe wishful thinking. It has been slowish for a while now but there is absolutely no doubt that the drastic slow-down occurred in the last couple of days after I had downloaded the AVG Internet Security.

I will probably glean the answer from the 'answers that work' website, but if I switch off a lot of things on the start-up list, how will I know when I have to turn them on and how to do it ? For instance I imagine that RealPlayer is in there somewhere and I use it a fair bit. And I have just had a msg from AVG asking if I should allow 'Google Toolbar Notification'
to access the internet. I don't actually use the toolbar as such but of course use the search engine a lot.

I feel for all the numpties who don't know about this forum and faff about in permanent ignorance ! I really am impressed by people like you and Tony who reply patiently and at length to silly questions. Thanks v much to you both.

Perry

Perry,
If you come across any items in the startup list that you are not sure of, leave them ticked for now but copy the name of them and post it back on here.
As for things that you untick in the list but use sometime during your day, they will start when you click the shortcut or whatever you do do to open them. Things like Real Player are not needed at startup but when you do want to use it, whether you click a short-cut or click a video link it will start up. May take a second or two longer but all those programs that were starting up were taking ages before you could use your computer.
If AVG was asking for permission to let Google toolbar notifier have access to the web, there should be a 'Remember this decision' button and a 'Deny' button, use both. Any others that AVG asks pewrmission for, if you do not recognise them then Deny. If it is important, it will ask again later. Most of the requests will be from software checking for updates so it is best to read the request and, once you know what it is, allow it.

After you sort out your startup list and you click Apply -> OK it will ask to restart your computer to take effect. Click Yes (or Restart).
When you computer boots up the Configuration Notice will appear, click the box at the bottom 'Don't show this again' and click Ok.

Get back if you have any problems.
dave

Edit.
Just had a rummage round and got this link to Startup List Items
http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html
dave

Hi Perry
Looks like you are getting there. You may be surprised at just what is actually taking up your resources. I have tried a program called WhatsRunning - might be worth having a look - and its free for single licence LINK HERE

If you go here :-
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
Be in no doubt there are probably no better utilities anywhere on the web - free as well as safe to download and run.

Download and run 'AutoRuns for Windows v9.13'
This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

Autoruns' Hide Signed Microsoft Entries option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system and it has support for looking at the auto-starting images configured for other accounts configured on a system. Also included in the download package is a command-line equivalent that can output in CSV format, Autorunsc.

You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched automatically!

Autoruns works on all versions of Windows including 64-bit versions.
Next - not required but useful to know - If you double click an entry in Autoruns the registry editor will be opened at the place from whence the info was extracted... Especially interesting if you check before and after unticking an Autoruns entry ;)
:cool: :cool:

Research before actions...

A useful guide to 'service's etc :-
http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

> Dave, Tony, empip:
I haven't been ignoring your helpful posts, various 'domestics' and house guests have conspired to steal the time needed to check out the suggested websites carefully. I am quite good about not rashly scrapping/altering things I don't really understand properly so I like to take plenty of time and be sure I know what the results of my actions will be !

I did have a go at 'answers that work' and out of my list of 20 I deleted just two, noted 'investigate further' on a number of them and have decided that four or five should be kept. I did manage to frighten myself over one which, had it contained just one letter different, would have been a back-door virus apparently. Mention of 'registry keys' are enough to bring on a panic attack, empip, so I will have to read the stuff very carefully.

I will come back again when I have more to report and will probably be asking some more dumb questions. Meanwhile thanks again to all of you.
Perry

AVG 8.0 is junk - they failed to listen to any complaints from the many beta testers (self included) and have completely messed up cookie handling in IE7 - even when you disable the browser plugin some sites such as our rev gen site at work and egg Money just won't work properly - even if you add the site to the trusted zone or turn all security off - plus it slows vista down considerably.
I now use avast, and recommend it to my customers too, but continue to use AVG on my server to scan my share drive every morning at 3am - sticking with 7.5 till they discontinue support for it though!

I do find that my PC runs slower when performing a virus scan. All I do is turn of the scan if I'm using the PC and schedule the scan to run overnight (when I'm downloading stuff).

Sponsored Links
Back