Does size matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looking to buy a random orbital sander. Although it will be used for general DIY tasks the one which has triggered the purchase is sanding my stairs back to bare wood. The riser depth from tread to underside of a deep bull-nose is 7".

The sanders seem to come in 5" or 6". I get the impression 6" is the more popular but will I be able to use this size on the risers bearing in mind the limited leeway between tread and bull-nose? Not having used one before I don't know how much they have to be moved about.

Any general views on 5" V 6"?

Also, any views on the metabo sxe 425/450, or bosch gex124ac/150ac?

Sponsored Links
I've got the SXE450 and have used it for the same thing in the past, take the front handle off so you can get nearer the strings. I also used a delta sander to get into the corners.

very happy with the Metabo, solid construction, nice to hold. Use it with a dust extractor if you have one although the paper bag is quite effective.

Rutlands are doing it with 2 free bessey clamps http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/p...@cRandom Orbital Sanders@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|12|

Jason

Thanks Jason I think I'll go for that one, www.tool-net.co.uk have it for £138 which seems suspiciously cheap - are then any bits I should check it comes with e.g. backing pads, dust bags or is the spec quite standard?

Sponsored Links
Comes with standard backing pad, I dust bag and i think a few discs. I'd pay the extra £7 and get the bessey clamps from Rutlands thrown in.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back