Does this need an Earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a few of these Chinese manufactured lights to fit as bedsides lights (copper plated metal with built in switch). The ceiling rose has an Earth tag, but the supplied wire to the bulb holder is 2 core and there is no Earth connection to the metal light fitting that is going to be regularly touched to operate the built-in switch.

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

I have opened up the bulb holder and there is some cardboard inside. I guess they are going for "metal-cased Class II equipment". My question is do you think this is adequate and hence safe or do you think it should be Earthed please?

IMG_0007.JPG

Sponsored Links
The lamp holder should be earthed. Is there any strain relief or cable clamp on the cable above the switch or is the weight of the lamp supported by the brown and blue wires in the terminals of the switch.

Personally I would give them earth, 6 foot deep.

Yes, there is strain relief which is the black plastic 'gland' you can see at the top of the bulb holder in the second photo. Still seems a bit ropey though and yes, 6 foot under is probably right!

Sponsored Links
I guess they are going for "metal-cased Class II equipment".
My guess is that they think the earth continuity will be through the threaded components of the luminaire. They might be right, but then again...

The supplied cable from the rose to the bulb holder is 2 core so there is no Earth connection to the metal bulb holder at all.

Probably Only good for Decorative Purposes. i.e. NOT connected to any power supply!

I didn't think it looked very good when I opened it up. However do you think it would be ok with the addition of an Earth, as in new 3-core cable from the rose and an Earth tag fitted?

You could try installing three core lighting flex, if there is a secure means of earthing the lampholder unit.
Check the earth connection with a multimeter between the lampholder and the plug earth pin before first use!

Even better, check it with something that'll put some current through it, such as a car battery and a headlamp bulb.

OK thanks, yes, it looks like I could add an Earth tag to the bulb holder assembly. Good idea for the test, I'm sure I can find something to pass a reasonably high current through it to check for a good connection.

Slightly annoying that these things ship from China in what is not really a safe state...

What with copper being expensive 'n' all that - is it really copper? As opposed to say plastic with plating or paint. (I mean only the builb holder with switch)

Nozzle

Nozzle - good thought, I have just inspected it and it's all metal, but mostly copper plate. Some parts attract a magnet and some don't. I expect the magnetic parts are steel and the non-magnetic parts are either brass or possibly copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back