does this 'need' replaced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the electrics are marked as repair category '2' in a home report of property I'm thinking about buying, '1' is best '3' is worst. the comment is:

'the electrical installation is along semi-dated lines.'

the property was built mid-late 60's and I'm assuming this is original, question is will I 'need' to replace straight away or should it still be safe?

thoughts / advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Them rewirable fuseboxes are very old, but theres still a few in regular use, so it may be wise to have it updated though its likely not neccesarily dangerous

Overdue for replacement.

It looks openable without the use of a tool, there may not be adequate flash guards and probably exposed busbars inside, possibly unsleeved earth wires rather close to open busbars, may contain asbestos, might even be double pole fusing?

The wiring to the bell transformer looks well dodgy too, just waiting for someone to grab it and end up holding live ends.

thanks for quick replies. I'm in Fife, Scotland. it's a 2 bed flat with:

entrance hall downstairs with stairs leading to rooms.
kitchen
bathroom
lounge
2 x bedrooms

it's very likely floorboards and I'd be replacing all carpets so, if rewiring required, now might be time to do it?

appreciate folk need to see jobs to quote, but based on above how much approx. should a complete rewire cost?

Sponsored Links
about £2500 - £3000 depending on specification, and amount of opening and making good for cable access required.

PS Is there electricty in Fife now? Blimey! :D

:evil:

we've had it since 1985 so don't start :cool:

have got a quote for £1,400 all in, know the guy, reputable electrician that'll do a good job so i'm happy enough if i go ahead and buy the place.

Looks like some black rubber cable there amongst the other cables, so be prepared for a partial or total re-wire.

My money is on total re-wire.

have got a quote for £1,400 all in,

For that price he could have come and done mine instead of me doing it myself!

think it'll likely be a homer. will that create issues in terms of any certification etc that I should be provided with? i.e. if a sparky is completing work as a homer can they still provide the required paperwork that proves work has been completed and complies etc etc?

think it'll likely be a homer. will that create issues in terms of any certification etc that I should be provided with? i.e. if a sparky is completing work as a homer can they still provide the required paperwork that proves work has been completed and complies etc etc?

Only if:

a) He notifies building control and pays whatever the building notice fee is
b) He is registered to self certify in his own right - Unlikely unless he does a lot of them or is planning to break away and go self employed soon
c) He has a boss who is understanding and lets him put the odd job through the companies registration
d) He has a self employed mate who will put the job through for him

Not all of them are strictly by the book, but they all happen out there to one degree or another

Only if: ...
Everything you say is true in terms of England and Wales, but, even if some of it probably remains true across the whole (at least for the time being!) of the UK, I imagine the OP really needs a Scotland-specific answer.

Kind Regards, John

If you have rubber cable, even mixed with plastic cable, then the installation is of an age where there is a strong likelihood that you don't have a cpc in the lighting.

have got a quote for £1,400 all in,

For that price he could have come and done mine instead of me doing it myself!

Electrician should provide the standard Insulation Certificate without a problem as to Scottish rules about informing authorities not a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back