Does this roof leak because the tiles aren't suitable for the pitch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The roof leaks in heavy rain and I don't know if it needs repairing or replacing.

IMG_20200228_085303.jpg

A roofer has had a look and thinks the flashing on the right needs replacing. I'm not convinced it's the problem because there's a rafter between the flashing and the point of the leak, and I'm not sure how the water could get over that rafter without also leaking closer to the wall, which it doesn't.

I'm not sure if there are leaks through the tiles elsewhere. The felt has rotted where the leak is, but it's intact across the rest of the roof. I went into the loft and poked through an overlap in the felt in a few places during some rain. The top corners of the tiles were damp, but not dripping. But it wasn't very heavy rain or strong wind.

I've measured the pitch as 15°, which seems inadequate for the type of tile, looking at similar types in the catalogues. The roof faces south west. My worry is that the roof has been converted from slates to tiles at some point and it's been leaking ever since, unnoticed until the felt failed.

Sponsored Links
Yes the pitch is too low, pointing missing from various flashings
Also appears the headlap is very short for most pitches.
Various channel corners are missing..

Yes the pitch is too low, pointing missing from various flashings
Also appears the headlap is very short for most pitches.
Various channel corners are missing..
Thanks. Poking a tape measure through from below tells me headlap is 65mm, which is indeed too small, right?

The wall and flashing at the top is a mess and I'll get that sorted out too.

What are channel corners, please?

Don't worry about broken corners! sling them in a skip and get some more suitable tiles

Sponsored Links
i've just googled Marley Ludlow's and the min pitch is 25 degrees with a 75 min headlap. smooth Ludlow''s need 100mm headlap.
i think you have more than a 15 degree roof but less than a 25 degree pitch.

there's no sign of felt lapping into the gutter. the fascia is water stained.

the top cover flashing should run in lengths of about 1.5m to 2m - your runs are too long but no signs of cracks so far.

the RH abutment attempts at step-cover flashing are wrong - whoever did it didn't know how to flash abutments properly - the odds are it is leaking no matter where the leak presents below.

the RH abutment gutter should have its outlet at the opposite end, and a short clipped down pipe to the lower gutter.
the nonsense of cobbling together that weird arrangement to simply drain a gutter is ridiculous, & potentially dangerous if it blows off.

I have to admit the drainpipe bodge is my doing - it was a temporary experiment to see if the discharge from the bigger roof above was overwhelming the tiles. It didn't help. I'll get that downpipe moved and the guttering adjusted along with everything else!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back