Does this wall have electric cables inside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance if there is a simple answer to this that hasn't occurred to me!

So, the house is mid-terrace. As you look at the house, there is a front door on the left, living room on the right. That wall, going back between the hall and the living room, has no sockets or light switches etc. (until you get right back to the other side of the door into the living room).

What are the chances of there being any electric cables in that wall? My problem is that I really need to be able to switch the hall light on from by the front door, instead of having to walk all along the hall to get to it.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
What are the chances of there being any electric cables in that wall?
0% or 100%.
Probably not but it might.

My problem is that I really need to be able to switch the hall light on from by the front door, instead of having to walk all along the hall to get to it.
You will need to run a 3core&earth from the existing switch to the new switch position.

It's very unusual not to have a switch by the front door.

Can we have a picture of the existing switch wiring?

If you want to be able to turn the hall light on, then you need a switch wire to do this, so if there are any other cables there is irrelevant. The chances of there being a switch wire there blanked off in the wall which is ready to use - I don't think so! You need to run a twin and earth cable from the ceiling rose to where you want the switch.

Sponsored Links
Lol

Sounds like you need to run a cable from the existing switch to a new switch.

Is there only one switch that controls that light ?

Thanks a lot for the help so far folks.

The existing switch is along the hall at the bottom of the stairs and is a two-way controlling the hall light and the landing light upstairs. Upstairs on the landing is a similar switch controlling both the hall light and landing light as well.

The ceiling light itself is quite far along the hall. And the existing switch is even further, in the hall, but the other side of the living room door. So running cable from either is going to be more complicated than I'd like.

Oh well! Sounds like that is the only option.

If you want 3 switches controlling a light you need to buy an intermediate switch.

You want the intermediate to replace your existing switch so a 2 gang one.

As ericmark suggests, lot of wireless stuff has progressed the last few years.
It may involve chopping deeper boxes to accomadate the extra gubbings behind the switches, but certainly in the scope of a competent Diyer.

Many old school electricians, myself included, still prefer the wired type, but i now feel its time to move with the times

Many old school electricians, myself included, still prefer the wired type, but i now feel its time to move with the times
I am old school but accept new technology can be beneficial.

But I also have 12 years experience in designing equipment that used radio communications. The proliferation of equipment using the few licence exempt frequencies will lead to more and more instances of equipment "failure" where one system has blocked or false operated something in a different system.

If one item has to be mobile then wireless is an option. But if all items are fixed then wired is the best option.

The proliferation of equipment using the few licence exempt frequencies will lead to more and more instances of equipment "failure" where one system has blocked or false operated something in a different system.
[I'm also 'old school' - even if I did install some ultrasonically-operated light switches back in the 70s/80s!] Yes, that obviously is an increasing concern, although I would imagine that frequency allocations will evolve over time to at least partially accommodate the needs of the changing world. The technologies themselves will probably also evolve so as to make more efficient use of the available 'channels'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back