Does this wondow look right to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had new UPVC windows fitted to our new 'old' house (1950's ex council house) Fitted by a local well established firm that we went with on recommendation and after getting several quotes etc

Anyway, happy with the workmanship fit and finish etc however the windows just don't look right. What I mean is they don't look balanced. Hard to explain this but bare with me. The opening side of the window looks bigger than the non opening side, which having looked at every other window anywhere including the other 40 or so houses on our road, seems to be against the norm. Usually the non opening window is bigger to compensate for the extra frame around he opening side, still with me? Spoke to the window company and they said that due to the small size of the window opening the opening window was a small as it is legally aloud to be, and that they've made the glass of 'equal' size.

window opening is 1000mm x 1000mm

Does it look right to you or am I just going barmy? Many thanks

http://community.screwfix.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2938/window.jpg

Sponsored Links
IF WINDOW IS UPSTAIRS OPENING SIDE SHOULD BE 610MM WITH FIRE ESCAPE HINGE FITTED. THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE EQUAL OPENINGS IS TO HAVE A TRAVELLING MULLION WINDOW.

Just realised I spelt window 'wondow'. Sounds like the english policeman in 'Allo, Allo. Good moaning............

Sponsored Links
IF WINDOW IS UPSTAIRS OPENING SIDE SHOULD BE 610MM WITH FIRE ESCAPE HINGE FITTED. THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE EQUAL OPENINGS IS TO HAVE A TRAVELLING MULLION WINDOW.

False.

The next room should have a means of escape.

The window should have a clear opening of sonething like .43 that is probaly why it is of centre

Replacement windows to first floor bedrooms and inner rooms should have sufficiently sized and located openings to ensure that means of escape in case of fire is not made any worse than before the replacement glazing was installed or should meet the current requirements which ever is the lesser.

It is recommended wherever possible that escape windows are installed to at least the current minimum size.

If your existing windows do not have opening lights which meet the above requirements, we would strongly recommend for your own safety, that you take the opportunity to provide them in the replacement windows. This is not a however a requirement of the regulations, which simply state that the replacement windows must be no worse than those they replace in this respect. Where the existing windows already have opening lights which are larger than the above requirements, those in the new windows can be reduced in size provided they are not reduced to less than the dimensions above

Typically accepted standards - current requirements

An opening that is required for means of escape should have a clear unobstructed opening area of 0.33 m² and a minimum width or height of 450mm. For example, if a width of 450 mm is proposed then the height should be at least 733 mm in order to give the area of 0.33 m².

Openings that are required for means of escape should have a maximum floor to sill height of 1100 mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back