Doh! wrong cable size :/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
I am having to lengthen my tails from meter to CU. They are L & N 25mm with 16mm earth. I stupidly bought 16mm L & N and 10mm earth. Can I assume that what I have just bought now needs to go to eBay ? :(

Sponsored Links
Depends. Some circumstances would allow 16mm2 tails and 10mm2 earthing conductors.

What's your earthing arrangements (supply type) and size of fuse in cutout?

Many thanks for your reply.

I am hoping a picture speaks a 1000 words

DSCF3238.jpg

DSCF3234.jpg

DSCF3235.jpg

Please let me know if you need any more info . Thanks :)

Why on earth is there so much copper showing on the bottom of the isolator :eek:

What does it say on the other side of the DNO fuse? Is there any indication that it is PME (TN-CS)?

The single RCD protecting the whole installation is a bit poor too :cry:

Sponsored Links
'ello BoxCleva.

:eek: :eek: I think you have a bit too much conductor exposed there on the tails to the fuseboard.
What is the rating of the fuse under the meter ?
How long is the total run from the cut out to the consumer unit ?
Regardless of this I personally would just install 25mm L&N and a 16mm earth.
Regards
Ed.

Your service fuse may be 80amp. If so, 16mm is fine. However, to comply with the table in the regs, you would still need a 16mm earth.

Your service fuse may be 80amp. If so, 16mm is fine. However, to comply with the table in the regs, you would still need a 16mm earth.

Only if it's PME (which we can't tell from the picture).
If it's TN-S then the earthing conductor can be sized using the adiabatic equation.

I hope this answers your question.

DSCF3241.jpg

DSCF3245.jpg

I know the installation is a little dated, but it works ;)

Can I use the cable I have bought, or do you need more info?

Thanks Fellas :D

The service fuseholder says 100A on it so the only safe assumption is that it may have a 100A fuse inside. Therefore you should use at least 25mm tails and 16mm earth.

why exactly do you need to extend these tails anyway?

. Therefore you should use at least 25mm tails and 16mm earth.

That's sounds good enough to me. Thanks

why exactly do you need to extend these tails anyway?

Because the existing tails are not long enough to route properly. They would have to drape across the wall (as they do currently). A balls up by Scotty Power. :rolleyes:

DSCF3246.jpg

out of interest did scottish power also do that terrible termination on the bottom of the isolator?

Also i notice that you seem to have removed the cover from the output terminals of the isolator without turning it off first. In general this is not reccomeneded. Especially if you haven't opened the enclosure before or you know the wiring in there is badly done.

cant see how thats scotish powers fault though

The meter board used to be closer to the CU until they moved it further away , hence the cables draped across the wall. The cables used to nicely route along the coving and down onto the meter board.

out of interest did scottish power also do that terrible termination on the bottom of the isolator?

Yup.

Also i notice that you seem to have removed the cover from the output terminals of the isolator without turning it off first. In general this is not reccomeneded. Especially if you haven't opened the enclosure before or you know the wiring in there is badly done.

Not quite right there. I did indeed turn the power off and then removed the cover. I then touched the neutral tail and it promptly fell out :eek: I re secured it properly, and the cover will go back on when I have replaced the tails. Obviously I won't do this without turning of the power yet again.

How long is the total run from the cut out to the consumer unit ?

Currently 3.5m. They need to be 4m long to make it.

Regardless of this I personally would just install 25mm L&N and a 16mm earth.

Completely agree. And that's what I will buying tomorrow AM

Hall Of Shame!!!

I'm hoping you mean Scotty power and not me ! :(

I remember you posting this a while back after they'd just finished. Terrible job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back