Domestic boiler room - fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

Got a boiler room in my house and it has a normal non fire door which is brown and needs replacing.

Having work done upstairs and one of the doors is a fire door and white.

Is there a reason NOT to replace a non fire door with a fire door on a domestic ?

Boiler room contains a gas boiler, incoming water mains, incoming electrics and distributions. If a fire is going to start somewhere it could well be in this room.

Above the room is the stairs.

Could a fire door cause the stairs to burn more quickly as it's forcing fire up than out?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
The fire door just has resistance to the fire, i.e. it takes longer to burn. A white door may reflect heat back increasing the acceleration of the internal fire. For the low cost of plaster board, it would be worth doubling or tripling the board covering the stairs. When I had my stair case replaced I packed it full of rockwool and double boarded it.

Either way a more solid fire door should help reduce oxygen to the fire.

You could also fit an automatic fire extinguisher if you want - £35
https://www.firesafetystore.co.uk/f...s/2kg-automatic-dry-powder-fire-extinguisher/

Last edited:
I love the way you describe the cupboard under stairs as a boiler room! (y)conjures up memories of the Big scary dark room at the end of the staff corridor at school!
Anyway my take is there's no reason not to, but as motorbiking mentioned you need to look at the rest of the envelope of the cupboard. Double boarding with staggered joints all skimmed will give fire resistance, but don't forget to test your smoke alarms. They are what's going to save you from a fire at night.

My boiler is in the kitchen next to the cornflakes. Do I need to put some fireproof doors around it too?

Could a fire door cause the stairs to burn more quickly as it's forcing fire up than out?

Lol. Wtf? If there is a fire in that cupboard, your stairs will be three streets away!

Sponsored Links
From running a large hotel that has numerous fire inspections due to its old old age I know the fire brigade and inspectors are always happy with our lift and electric rooms having double plasterboard lining all the walls / ceiling and the back of the door and foam fire extinguishers - NOT c02 as it's a confined space. And also these hanging powder extinguishers that have a glass vial on them that automatically go off if there is a fire, they cost about £30 each.

I love the way you describe the cupboard under stairs as a boiler room! (y)conjures up memories of the Big scary dark room at the end of the staff corridor at school!
Anyway my take is there's no reason not to, but as motorbiking mentioned you need to look at the rest of the envelope of the cupboard. Double boarding with staggered joints all skimmed will give fire resistance, but don't forget to test your smoke alarms. They are what's going to save you from a fire at night.

Well it's a room with a boiler in it. 2m by 2m.

It contains the fire alarm control panels too.

Decided against this in the end as we're changing all the adjacent doors early next year anyway. Just seems a shame to chuck a decent door away.

My boiler is in the kitchen next to the cornflakes. Do I need to put some fireproof doors around it too?

Lol. Wtf? If there is a fire in that cupboard, your stairs will be three streets away!

You do what you want mate. I had a fire proof door going in the skip and thought I may as well make use of it. Can't see the problem with my question and I got a couple of really good replies too, which I've thanked.

Not sure what was wrong with my reply in that case,? staggered double boarding is what the building regs need for basic fire resistance

You do what you want mate. I had a fire proof door going in the skip and thought I may as well make use of it. Can't see the problem with my question and I got a couple of really good replies too, which I've thanked.

You should have left the fire door in the skip as you dont need it for your cupboard. If you wanted to use it, then surely there was no need for the question?

Does the cupboard have a 1/2 hour frame too? And intumescent strips and smoke seals, furniture, threshold strip, self closer or "Keep Shut" sign?
Or are you relying on heat and smoke to get out around the door, to set the fire alarm off before the house blows up?

No need to thank me, you're welcome. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back