Domestic circuit breaker board - welding machine ?

He was running a business from a domestic property.
That was a matter the local council would have been interested in.

The DNO were only interested in the disturbance his equipment was causing to the voltage on the local supply network.

Sponsored Links
The DNO could not have cared less that he was running a business, all they cared about was what he was doing to the supply. If he'd been running a business and not been causing problems they would have left him alone.

If he had been a non-business person with a ceramics hobby who had a large kiln that was causing problems they would have shut him down.

Did you actually read any of the other topic?

If he wasn't running a business the people around him wouldn't have complained.

[If he wasn't running a business the people around him wouldn't have complained.
The complaints were made to the various electricity supply companies ( and maybe directly to the DNO ) about lights flickering and other indications of voltage fluctuations. As far as I know no-one complained or mentioned the business operation.

If he wasn't running a business the people around him wouldn't have complained.
1) Yes they would. Their lights weren't flickering because he was running a business, they were flickering because he was using too much electricity.

2) It was not because he was running a business that the DNO got involved.

Did you actually read any of the other topic?

Sponsored Links
In some respects, of all the electrical machines/devices for use on a 230v domestic supply.

Why don't they carry a Warning to the user of this problem, if it is a problem.

Making a Mountain from a Mole hill. ???

End.........

Maybe because such a warning might put some people off, and hence reduce their sales/profit?

When buying a car, have you ever been 'warned' by the seller that you would need to have a valid driving licence in order to be allowed to drive it?

Kind Regards, John

Maybe because such a warning might put some people off, and hence reduce their sales/profit?

When buying a car, have you ever been 'warned' by the seller that you would need to have a valid driving licence in order to be allowed to drive it?

Kind Regards, John

I think if it was a common problem/issue then they would have, however given how rare it is I guess its not even an issue.

I think if it was a common problem/issue then they would have, however given how rare it is I guess its not even an issue.
I doubt that there often are problems/issues associated with ignoring the contractual requirement to get DNO permission to use such equipment - not the least because the average DIYer/hobbiest is only very rarely going to use the items, and usually only for short periods.

However, as BAS and I have both suggested, even if the problems associated with use of such equipment were common, I don't think it's down to the supplier to issue warnings - and we've both pointed out (with just two examples, put of countless possibles), there are countless examples of things which are sold, the use of which is associated with legal and/or contractual requirements or constraints, but you'll only rarely find the manufacturers or sellers issuing warnings about this.

Kind Regards, John

I doubt that there often are problems/issues associated with ignoring the contractual requirement to get DNO permission to use such equipment - not the least because the average DIYer/hobbiest is only very rarely going to use the items, and usually only for short periods.

However, as BAS and I have both suggested, even if the problems associated with use of such equipment were common, I don't think it's down to the supplier to issue warnings - and we've both pointed out (with just two examples, put of countless possibles), there are countless examples of things which are sold, the use of which is associated with legal and/or contractual requirements or constraints, but you'll only rarely find the manufacturers or sellers issuing warnings about this.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

In a similar vein, is there a list of items that you don't need to contact the DNO to use?

In a similar vein, is there a list of items that you don't need to contact the DNO to use?
I think you'd have to ask your own DNO.

The examples given earlier in this thread referred to equipment actually causing interference with others, which I hope everyone would expect the DNO to take action against. That is however a different issue from whether or not prior permission should be sought.

Regarding the original question, if the welder worked OK on an older installation with 30A fuse then it is possible it will trip a 32A MCB. If it were me then I'd just cross that one when/if I come to it. My 150A welder worked fine on B32 in the past, and currently it's used on a radial with a B20 without problems.

aesmith";p="3269207 said:
Regarding the original question, if the welder worked OK on an older installation with 30A fuse then it is possible it will trip a 32A MCB. .

The original question was would I have to change the 32amp breaker in the new board using a domestic Arc welder.

It worked OK via a 13amp plug fuse and 30amp board fuse in the old board and have since used it for a repair job still with the 13amp plug fuse and B32amp breaker in the new board with no problems.

I think its time this thread was put to bed where its getting above most peoples head.

thanks

I've used invertor welders on site and they always seem to use less current.
Longer extension cables are not a problem I find. And less pull on the genny.

With the old transformer units sometimes in the rain you would see the steam rising off the 240v extension cable. Usually when a nail is used as a fuse in a 13amp plug.

And then you have features like "Auto-adaptative arc force" "Power surplus", "Built in hot start" etc etc with the invertors.

I've used aa mig , an arc welder and a 2.5 hp compressor and it hasn't tripped a 30 amp MCB , all obviously before I've read all this !
If you do it in daylight , none of your neighbours have their lights on and won't be aware of any dimming.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back