Donwstairs toilet layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice:

I am planning on installing a downstairs toilet with washbasin - however the space I have available is rather limited. ( 1.8 m by 0.9m internal dimensions)

Although there should be sufficient space for the toilet and small basin, my problem is with the door. If the door opens into the cubicle ( the door will be on the end of the 1.8m side) there would be insufficient clearance with the basin. If the door opens in the other direction it will open into a passage which is obviously not ideal.

I am considering fitting a sliding or concertina door instead of a standard door - does anyone have any tips on using this type of door in this application? Any advice on suppliers? Other tips on maximiming the use of the available space?

Would there be any building regs restricting the minimum size of the cubicle? Are there any regulations prohibiting doors opening into passages (although I am not considering this option).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Where Part M (Bregs) applies, it would require a WC door to open outwards for easy access for disabled people.

Also, if you have ever been taken ill inside a WC and slumped behind the door, or had need to assist someone who has, then you will appreciate an outward opening door and a proper 'bathroom' latch which can be unlocked from the outside too.

A door opening into a passage is not big issue - the gaps around a concertina or sliding door to a WC are!

Thanks for those insights - some aspects there I hadn't even considered.

I must say though, I am rather wary of having a door open into a passage way. Are there not any restrictions on this in the building regs?

There are no restrictions.

Are you expecting hordes of people to be milling around outside this door, and don't want to bump one of them? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yip, its private.

Trying to discourage the masses from hanging around outside the toilet door!

I'm thinking it could be potentially painfull to walk into the edge of a door that had just been opened.

This is a photo of a friend's loo they've just done out. It has very similar dimensions to yours and has the door opening out into the corridor. There is no natural ventilation hence the extractor fan.

Excuse the curvy photo, it was taken in several shots and then combined into one with "Autostitch" (free panorama software)

not so sure about all those curves.
image.php

My toilet looks just like that when I am crawling towards it after a good night out.

The more curved the frame, the better the night it was. lol

^woody^ said:
My toilet looks just like that when I am crawling towards it after a good night out.

The more curved the frame, the better the night it was. lol

you wanna pack in takin' them drugs you bought up Hockley. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back