Door bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Would it be advisable to use my smoke alarm circuit for the door bell? It's enroute and can pick this up quite easily.

To elaborate, I have 3 core and earth connecting all of my smoke, heat and carbon monoxide alarms. I then have a 1.5mm T&E going from the last device (switch to locate and silence smoke alarms) to the consumer unit. Can this 1.5mm T&E go to a FCU before going to the consumer unit? The FCU can then power the transformer and chime (both in 1 unit)?

Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
If you have access to the consumer unit why not run the doorbell off a lighting circuit?

I could run it off a lighting circuit but thought this may be neater?

It's up to you. It doesn't matter.

After you've done it, you can say the smoke alarms are on the door bell circuit.

Sponsored Links
ok. Do you favour my idea of having a FCU on the smokes circuit and running the bell off this?

To elaborate, I have 3 core and earth connecting all of my smoke, heat and carbon monoxide alarms. I then have a 1.5mm T&E going to the first device (switch to locate and silence smoke alarms) from the consumer unit. Can this 1.5mm T&E go to a FCU after coming from the consumer unit? The FCU can then power the transformer and chime (both in 1 unit)?
:)

What is the rating of the fuse/MCB of the smokes circuit?

it can be whatever we need it to be as hasn't been connected in yet

Unless the instructions for the bell (or smokes) call for less then 6A MCB will do for both.

Then you won't really need to fuse down for the bell but an FCU or switch may be handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back