Door Entry System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a tenement block and was also wondering how to make the door entry system work properly. Currently you can hear the buzzer go and buzz people in, however you cannot speak to them or hear them. There are a few cables that aren't connected but I'm not sure what to connect them to.

Cheers,

Minxka :?:

Sponsored Links
Yeha, thats the first thing I thought of but they say that only the lights are looked after in the tenement, not the door entry system leaving me very confused! I think they are fibbing!

minxysexka said:
I think they are fibbing!

I think so too. The electric heads on this forum will give better advice than I'm able to, but I think you might have to give a bit more info yet.

Sponsored Links
minxysexka said:
Yeha, thats the first thing I thought of but they say that only the lights are looked after in the tenement, not the door entry system leaving me very confused! I think they are fibbing!

complain to teh council. they should get someone to check

ask your neighbours can they here / talk to any one on their intercom, it may be your hand set is faulty.

In multiple flats quite often the same colours are used in each flat, so it may be worth having a lok at a neighbours, that said, i should also say, you pay your rent, ts not your problem to fix

breezer said:
ts not your problem to fix
It's also not your property to fix. You don't have the skills, and even if you don't make it any worse, if the council find out you've been fiddling with it then I guarantee they'll try and blame you for breaking it.

I'm always of the opinion that financial pressure works - get everyone in the block to withhold rent or council tax until it is fixed.

minxysexka said:
I live in a tenement block and was also wondering how to make the door entry system work properly. Currently you can hear the buzzer go and buzz people in, however you cannot speak to them or hear them. There are a few cables that aren't connected but I'm not sure what to connect them to.

Cheers,

Minxka :?:

There are many types of door entry systems on the market each have different wiring requirements. Is it video or speech only. You generally have 6 wires on speech and a further 2 if video is present. It could be many things also there are analogue and digital systems. If you are in a coucil accomadation it is certainly their remmitt to fix and they tend to give the door entry out to a speciaised nominated contracter who generally holds the contract for several years.

The council denies owning the block of flats, however I'm puzzled as they were in charge of the lights in the tenement block. I'll speak to them again and see if I can make heads or tails of it.

The flat is in fact owned by my brother, but I live there and look after it. (I have in fact decorated the place, installed a kitchen and done various bits of wiring to it ---so I'm not totally unskilled when it comes to wiring things up! But I am slightly defensive ;)

The system is speech only and doesn't look all to complicated, just didn't want to touch anything as I'm not sure if I'd give myself a shock!

Nobody have any links to some electrical diagrams by any chance?

as has been said differnt systems wired differntly, note what i also said previously

Do you know which make of door entry you have, often this will be on the handset. Also have you asked other residents if theirs is ok. The voltage should only be a low voltage as the systems go on a transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back