Door Frame/casing/lining???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I am a newby here. My husband and I have bought a "project", there is loads to do in the apartment and we thought we would get the professionals in.

Alas, Credit Crunch has hit and we have decided to turn our hand to a few things.

I have read through some of the Forum to find out about putting in a door frame/casing/lining. Everyone seems to call it something different.

Basically all we have is a "hole" where a door should be.

There is a flat wooden "frame" already. I am wondering if we can just install the door to that? Or do we need to build a frame?

I know I am going to be using you guys alot in the near future!

Stripping the bathroom tiles soon!!

-
-

Hopefully this helps!

Sponsored Links
My photography isn't up to much, but hopefully you will get a rough idea!

Lets hope my DIY skills turn out to be better :rolleyes:

Hi my name is Mike
You will need to fix a door casing. Door cases have a rebate/recess in the wood in which the door will sit in when closed. This gives the door something to shut to, preventing it from being ripped off its hinges and also to prevent light traveling from one room to another when the door is shut.
If you want you can give me some measurements and I will try and give you step by step instructions on fitting your casing and door.
Width of opening in mm
Height of opening in mm
Thickness of opening in mm (looks approx 100mm on pic)
Type of door your planning on fitting (Only asking as you may have problems with cheaper doors if an excess amount need to come off the door to fit the opening if the door is hollow or veneered)

Sponsored Links
There is a flat wooden "frame" already. I am wondering if we can just install the door to that? Or do we need to build a frame?

A casing and a lining are essentially the same, except one is a one piece timber with a rebate for the door, the other is a flat timber with fixed on strips to form the door stops. Don't ask me which is which.

As you already have the timber lining, you only need for fix on thinner timber to form the stops. Hang your door, and then nail on the stops so the door closes against them

I always call the lining the straight piece of wood and the casing the rebated one. Sorry on my computer it looked like it was just plasterboarded. In that case yeah do what woody says and attach another piece e.g 2"x1" to form the rebate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back