Door frame sanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

The door frames (and virtually all other woodwork) in a house we have purchased don't look too good. Basically thick gloss with run marks and some dents.

I'm looking to repaint, using dulux satinwood.

On one frame I began sanding it with 180grit paper tonight. This seemed to take the White gloss coating off and it felt smoother. Then the gloss started to peel off like skin, revealing what looks like another cpst below.

Does this mean I'd need to remove all of the top coat and then key the other coat? Does it mean they have just glossed over gloss?

Trying to find the quickest way to sort this. At my disposal I have :

Manual paper, 80,120,180,240 grades.
Black and decker mouse with 80 and 100 pads.
Polycel liquid sandpaper

Any advice much appreciated, I suspect that I'll find plenty more of the same! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The previous painters have glossed over gloss without sanding anything down so there's no key for the paint.
You have to get rid of that peeling surface I'm afraid, either by sanding or chemical.
I'm having the same problem with a door.....at the end of the day I may replace the door, but that's hardly simple with the frame :eek:
John :)

Hmm, I'd feared something like that. Would I be best using my mouse to speed things up, on 80 or 100, and then hand sand 180? It'll take ages, me fears :/ I hope the skirting boards aren't the same.

You can certainly give it a try.....the worst scenario is that the paper will clog in no time and you'll get even more frustrated!
John :)

Sponsored Links
How else would you remove the gloss on gloss then if without sand paper? - If I used something like Nitromores that would strip everything back wouldn't it? And I'd have to prime the raw wood then wouldn't I?

Essentially I'm looking for the quickest way to have the frames coated in the mattest finish I can get which will be at least a bit hard wearing, so either SatinWood or Eggshell I guess.

I use a power planer and belt sander, take minutes instead of hours and leaves perfect surface for decorating.Any nails have to be punched in and you also need a sharp chisel for the corners.

Surely that'll take it back to bare wood though and then require priming and multiple coats? Although that my be quicker than hand sanding at 180 I suppose

I use a quarter sheet sander (£35) and a roll of good quality 60 grit paper. Very quick and easy.

Surely that'll take it back to bare wood though and then require priming and multiple coats? Although that my be quicker than hand sanding at 180 I suppose
If it's as bad as you describe back to wood is best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back