Door handles don't rotate enough to open mortice latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there,
have pruchased some replacement door handles, first problem I had was that the square drive shaft was slightly too big for the mortice latches in my doors, which I got round by using the old drive shafts.

However, on one of my doors I have found that the handle does not rotate enough to ensure the latch is fully recessed. I really don't want to be drilling loads of holes in my door, so is there any way of getting this to work? Are there any brands of mortice latch that don't need as much rotation to fully recess the latch? Or should I try to 'shape' the plate in the handle that limits rotation?
cheers

Sponsored Links
depending on how much more you need to rotate. if its a mm or two then yes you can file the plate to get the extra

as you are using the incorrect spindles they are going to be a sloppy fit so there will be some lost movement. Try packing the ends of the spindles into the holes e.g. with wet newspaper. If that does the trick you can make a permanent fix with something that goes hard.

Or you could buy new latches, if they are just tubular mortice latches they are cheap enough.

Or try a dremel or something to increase movement on the handle, as you say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back